Thread: muscle mass and tonnage

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Stef has tools.
    Vive stef!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    How did you?
    vBulletin logs IP address information for users and makes it easily viewable to administrators. Of course, in the presence of NAT and VPNs, single computers and IP addresses are not one-to-one (that is, you cannot uniquely identify someone by their IP address). Right now, I share my (public) IP address with many, many other people; it isn't entirely unlikely that there is someone else on this forum that has the same IP.

But in this particular case, they're probably the same dude.

light weights at high volume/short rest periods are basically useless for just about everything, but especially for getting big and strong
    I'm a bit confused by this--ignoring "strong" and focusing on "big"--isn't this the exact type of work which results in sarcoplasmic hypertrophy? Empirically, we know there are guys who have gotten big like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    I'm a bit confused by this--ignoring "strong" and focusing on "big"--isn't this the exact type of work which results in sarcoplasmic hypertrophy? Empirically, we know there are guys who have gotten big like this.
    I'm sorry you're confused. Let me simplify: If you get stronger, you have to get bigger. The best way to get stronger -- and therefore bigger -- is by doing 5-pound PRs for sets of 5 reps as often as is physically possible.

I'm sorry you're confused. Let me simplify: If you get stronger, you have to get bigger. The best way to get stronger -- and therefore bigger -- is by doing 5-pound PRs for sets of 5 reps as often as is physically possible.
    Thanks for simplifying for my simpleton brain, but my simpleton brain feels the need to point out that the best way to get stronger may not be the best way to get bigger when it's possible to get bigger via adaptations outside of an increase in contractile tissue.

Tell us about those adaptations, and how long they remain in operation.

Tell us about those adaptations
    Why should I tell you, when you can surely tell us better?

From chapter 4, section "Training-induced Muscle Adaptations" of the 3rd edition of PP:ST:

Bodybuilding-type training utilizes very high-volume lower-intensity repetition and set configurations that cause a decrease---and subsequent increase---in metabolic substrate stores in the muscle. The addition of glycogen---and high-energy phosphates (the mechanism behind the effectiveness of creatine supplementation)---to the cell causes additional water to be stored. This effect, combined with minor accumulations of fat droplets, enzymes relevant to the additional activity, and a moderate increase in contractile proteins, causes the cell volume to increase.
    And before I get gotcha'd with that "moderate increase in contractile proteins" tidbit, please carefully read what I said in my original response.

how long they remain in operation.
    I'm not sure what you're asking here--are you're asking about how long you can sustain an emphasis on this variety of hypertrophy (I guess it may be more correct to say this particular distribution of hypertrophy)? If so, I dunno, but I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are.

Yeah, that's a problem. You got me.

I'm not sure what you're asking here--are you're asking about how long you can sustain an emphasis on this variety of hypertrophy (I guess it may be more correct to say this particular distribution of hypertrophy)? If so, I dunno, but I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are.
    You're trying to say that neural factors can account for a strength increase independent of hypertrophy, and I'm telling you that this does not happen. This is ExFizz mythology.

Why should I tell you, when you can surely tell us better?

From chapter 4, section "Training-induced Muscle Adaptations" of the 3rd edition of PP:ST:

And before I get gotcha'd with that "moderate increase in contractile proteins" tidbit, please carefully read what I said in my original response.

Zft, have you done the novice progression as written in the book?

For many people who got brainwashed by ex-phys and fitness influencers, the best way to understand the difference between the SS novice program and anything is else, is to just do it.

No use in sitting here asking these questions when you still have a 205lbs squat above parallel and spend a lot of time looking at your abs and biceps in the mirror. Just sayin'.

Spam bots Red/Henry will be missed.
    I suppose it is good to have a few of these guys around willfully misinterpreting the material for argumentative purposes; it may help forum readers think critically about the topics.

starting strength coach development program
    You're trying to say that neural factors can account for a strength increase independent of hypertrophy, and I'm telling you that this does not happen. This is ExFizz mythology.
    No, I'm not saying that. I'm talking about hypertrophy exclusively. Let me remind you:

the best way to get stronger may not be the best way to get bigger when it's possible to get bigger via adaptations outside of an increase in contractile tissue.
    The only thing that this says is that there exist adaptations that will increase muscle volume outside of contractile tissue increases and that perhaps there are stimuli which will increase muscle volume more than the specific stimuli involved in optimal strength increases. That final point does not say that hypertrophy-based training does not result in increases in contractile tissue. I'm not talking about neural anything.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    No use in sitting here asking these questions when you still have a 205lbs squat above parallel and spend a lot of time looking at your abs and biceps in the mirror. Just sayin'.
    I squatted 507 x 5 yesterday.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast