starting strength gym
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: muscle mass and tonnage

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfire View Post
    True, but the rest of the points are exclusively the authors opinion, which is fine of course, but irrelevant to the discussion.

This is not minutiae. Training is an optimization problem where you need to produce enough stress, but not so much fatigue that you can't produce useful stress again in a few days. We all like lifting heavy weights of course, but not all of us can deadlift a heavy set of 3-5 and get enough stimulus in order to get bigger/stronger. Then, the details of what is heavy enough, and what stimulates hypertrophy and strength become pretty important.

You can squat/deadlift and press for different set and rep schemes. This is irrelevant to the discussion.

Some people just need to shut the fuck up, when they don't know what they are talking about.
    I doubt you will.

We all like lifting heavy weights of course, but not all of us can deadlift a heavy set of 3-5 and get enough stimulus in order to get bigger/stronger.
    Not all of you like lifting weights that are heavy enough to make you bigger and stronger, but those of you that will do so will get bigger and stronger. How do you plan on getting stronger without lifting heavier weights? And how do you get stronger without getting bigger? How do you not understand this?

Quote Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
    This is reminding me of quite a foggy memory of a book I read that answered all these questions. The name escapes me right now though, sorry!
    Take a look at the Join Date of my user. See the year 2007? I have read every word Rip has ever written that is available to the public. I am well aware of his books. Please, at least train a few years before arguing training methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Not all of you like lifting weights that are heavy enough to make you bigger and stronger, but those of you that will do so will get bigger and stronger. How do you plan on getting stronger without lifting heavier weights? And how do you get stronger without getting bigger? How do you not understand this?
    Rip, like I said before, I did not mean to argue training methods with you. I doubt that I can change your mind by typing in a forum. Maybe it would've been easier in real life, but that's not happening anytime soon. I was talking only about training parameters that drive hypertrophy. My thoughts were already stated, so there is no need to go there again.

Princess Diana and Mother Teresa died around the same time. The princess had a tortured miserable life and actually died being chased by the press. In her 30’s. Saint Teresa was well loved, devoted to helping others and died in peace in her late 80’s.

Young women in that era were asked, given those two paths - glamour but suicidal, misery and a short life - or peace, sainthood and a long life, which would you choose?

They almost all picked abs and biceps.

If it were true that higher rep ranges made you bigger and stronger then why are there no gigantic CrossFit athletes? Why don't any of them have a 600lb deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Z View Post
    If it were true that higher rep ranges made you bigger and stronger then why are there no gigantic CrossFit athletes? Why don't any of them have a 600lb deadlift?
    This is a strawman argument. Nobody is claiming that there is some magical rep range that makes you bigger or stronger regardless of intensity/volume used. Read the thread again.

starting strength coach development program
    Read the thread again.
    Do we have to?

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314