starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SS Radio #163: Hormones with Dr. Anthony Jay

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by William MG View Post
    Steve,
    Your family doc should have no problem getting you on TRT. Tell him you want a blood test and it should be straight forward from there. I've been on it for a year through my doc. I go in this week in fact to get blood checked again.
    Not my experience. My GP would only refer me to a endocrinologist. The endo said I should be grateful my T isn't zero (paraphrase), like other people he treats. He implied that I wanted juice for some competition. I mentioned I lifted, but never said I competed, which I don't.

I must've been an overwhelming presence of self-sufficient masculinity.

In hindsight, I should have been flattered and thanked him for boosting my self-esteem.

Quote Originally Posted by William MG View Post
    You have a problem because I addressed Steven's remark about "navigating" TRT here in Canada?
    You haven't read anything we've said about TRT, your family doctor, and his no-problem-getting-you-on-TRT bullshit. You haven't paid attention to anything we've said. Nothing. Just gets irritating, being ignored.

I heard you talking about PABA; It purportedly stopped being used due to occasional allergic reactions and the potential to discolor fabrics.
    Oddly, India seems to have banned it and the FDA pulled its approval for certain indications, so there may be a financial/lobbying component at play here or another issue that is not easily discernable.
    I want to buy some PABA. Any good sources you would recommend?
    (Without doing much research into the chemical synthesis, I would assume it is possible to have a small level of pthalate contamination from one of the methods)

I bought a bunch of 500mg tablets many years ago, sold as a supplement at GNC. Haven't looked for it in years.

To respond to WilliamMg, I live in a small town, and my family doctor (who had her head screwed on straight) gave up her practice to go work in the ED in Cranbrook, the nearest decent sized city. No family docs here have space for new patients, so my family is stuck with a walk-in clinic. I am in the early stages of working with a clinic in Calgary. We will see how that goes. I have Jay Campbell's book, and I’m hoping it can help me spot bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I bought a bunch of 500mg tablets many years ago, sold as a supplement at GNC. Haven't looked for it in years.
    They still sell it openly on Amazon. For now. Does Rip recommend crushing up the oral pills to mix w alcohol? Or is there another way to get the PABA? Also, is it useful for sun protection if you take it orally?

On a related note, I once saw some "science" that indicated that the body does not properly/fully/effectively integrate industrial seed oils into the cell membrance and that for that reason, animal fats and saturated fats are better integrated into the cell walls and therefore provide better sun protection. Seems to make possible sense, that natural animal fats are superior to franken-oils. Any knowledge or opinion on that, Rip?

Finally, I became totally disgusted by sunscreens over a decade ago when I would see fat sloppy disgusting hambeast women spraying their fat, bitch-titted, pasty little kids with a cloud of this aerosol spray sunscreen that the kids would inhale. This would frequently happen at "swim team" practice where these little bgutterballs would chuga-a-guzzle gallons of Gatorade for the enhancement of their porcine sports performance and pound granola bars "for protein" and bananas "for potassium." I made sure my kids stayed tan and slender - no sunscreen ever and snacks of chicken thighs and water. Disgusting.

PABA is useful for a sunburn. Take a gram next time and see what happens. I make the alcohol tincture by grinding up the tablets in a mortar and filling it with isopropyl alcohol. Stir the tablet powder into solution -- there will be binder residue left in the mortar bowl -- and pour the clear yellow liquid into a bottle. I use a squeeze bottle that contact lens saline come in.

And another thing: your distinction between "Science!" and "Professional Research!" is genius. I'm not sure if its yours or someone else's, but that shit needs to be proclaimed widely and understood by all.

starting strength coach development program
    Not mine, but Bruce Charlton's term. Damned useful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12