starting strength gym

Thread: SS Gyms Podcast: Preparing for Mt. Everest

I really enjoyed this and look forward to seeing the progress. I remember I was a couple months into NLP and had started hiking with my son in my pack and my knees were killing me. I was wondering if squatting was doing the damage. Nope it was the descending with extra weight. Anyway, fast forward to a much higher squat and deadlift and I can now carry both kids down with no issues. I also have very little issue with altitude, which I think is due to the anaerobic nature of heavy squats.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

We're hiking out to Jennie Lake tomorrow though Friday. Should be a great time - it will be my first time sleeping outside in decades. Hopefully by the end of the trip Jon and I will have worked out a deal and he'll be spending a good chunk of his time recording/editing content for us. The quality of his work is fantastic: Jon Conti - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    I really enjoyed this and look forward to seeing the progress. I remember I was a couple months into NLP and had started hiking with my son in my pack and my knees were killing me. I was wondering if squatting was doing the damage. Nope it was the descending with extra weight. Anyway, fast forward to a much higher squat and deadlift and I can now carry both kids down with no issues. I also have very little issue with altitude, which I think is due to the anaerobic nature of heavy squats.
    After packing out a number of elk off the mountain I would suggest trekking poles (or at least one pole) for the downhill hikes with a heavy pack. Squatting helps but the trekking poles add stability on uneven ground.

I was lucky enough to hear this guy speak at a previous employer: About David

Not sure what all his training consisted of, but I know he basically block-booked the moving-staircase machine in the work gym for two hours every morning for several weeks before an exhibition

Very inspiring guy.

JD Thomason is offline Owner, Starting Strength Colorado Springs

Looking forward to these videos- jon has many irons in the fire- everest/SS prep Documentary, and brazilian JJ video- I cannot wait to see them!

Now, if we could just get a pro golfer on the NLP…

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    After packing out a number of elk off the mountain I would suggest trekking poles (or at least one pole) for the downhill hikes with a heavy pack. Squatting helps but the trekking poles add stability on uneven ground.
    Thanks, I use them when able. They aren't great for the trails in the whites. Usually I have one kid in the bag and I'm holding the other. Nonetheless my knees have been good a couple years now.

Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by ranger_99 View Post
    Looking forward to these videos- jon has many irons in the fire- everest/SS prep Documentary, and brazilian JJ video- I cannot wait to see them!

Now, if we could just get a pro golfer on the NLP…
    We've just worked out a deal to have Jon spend 1/3 of his time on Starting Strength content. We are going to tell great stories with his help.

Ray, I swear I listened... Did you all say where the videos would be available to watch? I don't recall.

I think I heard that the when was next year, right?

Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Ray, I swear I listened... Did you all say where the videos would be available to watch? I don't recall.

I think I heard that the when was next year, right?
    Yep, next year for the Everest case study. The BJJ one will be this year. Hopefully the broken neck one too.

The plan is to publish them on our YouTube channel and to the network.

Hope you're well over there in Florida. Gym is coming soon! Tyler is at the tail end of lease negotiations.