starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for research in sports science

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by pieza kake View Post
    I am particularly interested in the biomechanics of the SQ, BP, and DL. When I say that the biomechanics are well sorted out I mean that It's just hard to believe that a paper on the biomechanics of the DL would let's say convince Mr Rippetoe to change the well-established set-up for the DL.
    Is there a paper that compares, for example, a hips high vs hips low deadlift (or high bar vs low bar squat or even leg press) and the impact on max weight, training progression/results over a training period, and (maybe) impacts on athletic performance and/or body composition/muscle mass?

Not that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    Is there a paper that compares, for example, a hips high vs hips low deadlift (or high bar vs low bar squat or even leg press) and the impact on max weight, training progression/results over a training period, and (maybe) impacts on athletic performance and/or body composition/muscle mass?
    Exactly. But the problem is that the practitioners don’t feel the need to write up a grant proposal for this, despite our curiosity,
    And the academics generally don’t have the experience in long term strength training to be able to structure such a study adequately.
    Despite my rants against the “peer reviewed” Ex Sci literature (Summation of Forces About The Knee Equals Zero: Knee Loading In A Properly Performed Low-Bar Squat | Tom Bailey) this may be an opportunity.

Here is a guy who is looking for ideas for a research proposal relating to strength training along the SS model.
    Maybe hell is freezing over!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    Isn't the fact that you can't pull any significant weight off the floor with low hips enough? It seems to me like the answer would be that it's a waste of energy to put the lifter in the mechanically advantageous position to pull from.
    I honestly can't think of any unanswered questions regarding the biomechanics of the main lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Isn't the fact that you can't pull any significant weight off the floor with low hips enough?
    Apparently not. I have no idea why, but it still continues almost everywhere.

I have seen studies trying to compare muscle activation in a bench press vs a dumbbell bosu ball bench press (it may have even been one- armed). Really, those types of study are seriously done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We've already investigated that. It is.
    I didn't expect you to take the bait, and now I feel bad about myself.

IPB

Maybe it is better to just model the system via computer simulation and get your answers that way. This is what just about every company that 'makes things' does to successfully optimize their products. As a first approach, optimal starting position for a lift is an engineering dynamics problem; its a system of levers (bones) and fulcrums (hinges/joints) with force application areas along the lever surfaces. All of this might be modeled in 3D with inputs for lever and joint materials properties (modulus, etc.), dimensions, starting orientation, and so on, with outputs in terms of force required based on starting orientation. I mean, lots of replacement level mechanical engineers are out there successfully modeling much more complex systems all the time, and plenty of sports enterprises, such as golf club manufactures, use this approach routinely to help their customers optimize their starting positions.

I honestly can't think of any unanswered questions regarding the biomechanics of the main lifts.
    Why are the arms not perpendicular to the floor in a heavy deadlift?

Isn't the fact that you can't pull any significant weight off the floor with low hips enough? It seems to me like the answer would be that it's a waste of energy to put the lifter in the mechanically advantageous position to pull from.
    I see lifters like Brian Shaw and Martins Licis take incredibly low hip positions and “squat” the weight up. We’ve had discussions on the board before where we dissected some of this. They do use straps too… For whatever that’s worth.

When you deadlift ~1000 pounds I guess you can deadlift however you want to. But, it’s generally agreed on this board that if these lifters would take the more optimal high-hip position they would deadlift more.

Brian Shaw takes a pretty wide stance too. He’s a towering beast of a man, so I have wondered if some of these guys do have to take very unique approaches to deadlifting due to their size, shape, and/or anthropometries. Perhaps a better question might be, “Is there a point in which a person’s size, shape or anthropometry necessitates alterations to the standard model?”

It may only apply to 0.1% of the population, which we would not be concerned with for general strength training, but I am curious if such extrema do exist.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by asm44 View Post
    Why are the arms not perpendicular to the floor in a heavy deadlift?
    Gosh, I never thought about that. Gee. Jeez O Pete. Gosh Darnit. I hate missing things.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I see lifters like Brian Shaw and Martins Licis take incredibly low hip positions and “squat” the weight up. We’ve had discussions on the board before where we dissected some of this. They do use straps too… For whatever that’s worth.

When you deadlift ~1000 pounds I guess you can deadlift however you want to. But, it’s generally agreed on this board that if these lifters would take the more optimal high-hip position they would deadlift more.
    Post the video of the heavy deadlift that you think falsifies the standard pulling position theory.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast