starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for research in sports science

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Frank, leave the man alone. After all, he is stronger than I am, so he has to be right.
    No. I don’t believe Shaw is right at all. He even credits the Supple Leopard himself for his deadlift stance… I think that makes him de facto incorrect.

For bar rollers: Do an experiment. Drive on a flat road at 60mph without a seatbelt. Open the sunroof. Crash into a concrete wall and see if you're nicely ejected straight up.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    How about an actual comparison of Novice Cohort A running Starting Strength and novice Cohort B running "standard PT strength program" for 16 weeks. I remember last time I searched a database "Starting strength" returned 0 hits.

You know what the outcome will be, so the hardest part would actually be finding a coach willing to give up 4 months or so of profitable time to actually coach for free, to prove something that everyone already knows, to a bunch of people that don't know it, and don't want to know it, to a journal that probably won't accept it.

All I've ever wanted is to see a paper that details a cohort of trainees running the NLP for a decent length of time compared to the "gold standard"
    Isn't that what the SS Gym franchise is doing? They are collecting enormous amounts of data on the NLP on different types of lifters, and you can take that and compare it to whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    More than pretty well! I don’t disagree with any of it myself, I’m only saying that:
    1. A lot of people still get it wrong. Even ( or maybe especially) professional s&c coaches.
    2. The deadlift setup is an example of something that could be used in an academic paper in answer to the OP’s question

I’d missed and/or forgotten the 7-11 degree angle. I personally wouldn’t use that as a cue though because, as you say, the set up process achieves the same thing, I don’t think I could judge such small angles by eye if I were coaching, and I don’t often watch myself deadlift from the side.
    I never suggested to use it as a cue. I just listed what happens when you pull a deadlift from the floor

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Isn't that what the SS Gym franchise is doing? They are collecting enormous amounts of data on the NLP on different types of lifters, and you can take that and compare it to whatever you want.
    I don't care what the effects of the program have been on me personally, or the millions of other people around the world over the previous decades. Unless I see an exercise physiologist publish it in the sacred literature it's not evidence based and therefore doesn't exist. I'm going to continue to give my patients therabands.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    For bar rollers: Do an experiment. Drive on a flat road at 60mph without a seatbelt. Open the sunroof. Crash into a concrete wall and see if you're nicely ejected straight up.
    More wise words… this made me chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    I don't care what the effects of the program have been on me personally, or the millions of other people around the world over the previous decades. Unless I see an exercise physiologist publish it in the sacred literature it's not evidence based and therefore doesn't exist. I'm going to continue to give my patients therabands.
    As long as you FEEL like it's the right thing and some kind of authority approves it, you are obviously doing something right

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    As long as you FEEL like it's the right thing and some kind of authority approves it, you are obviously doing something right
    In this age of electronic communications, sarcasm definitely needs its own font...

I think the biomechanics stuff is less interesting than measuring outcomes related to the NLP. Some ideas for study I think would be cool:

- Compare hypertrophy results between mike matthews bigger leaner stronger and starting strength NLP.

- Measure SVJ differences before and after the NLP in adults

- Measure sprint time differences before and after NLP in adults

- Measure body aches and pains differences before and after NLP in adults

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    I think the biomechanics stuff is less interesting than measuring outcomes related to the NLP. Some ideas for study I think would be cool:

- Compare hypertrophy results between mike matthews bigger leaner stronger and starting strength NLP.

- Measure SVJ differences before and after the NLP in adults

- Measure sprint time differences before and after NLP in adults

- Measure body aches and pains differences before and after NLP in adults
    SVJ won't be much different, so I don't see the point.

Sprint time differences will be no different, if sprints have not been practiced.

How does one measure body aches and pains?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
    In this age of electronic communications, sarcasm definitely needs its own font...

It SuRe DoEs!

I hope you understand that both Subby and me were being sarcastic here

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast