starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Suggestions for research in sports science

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    For bar rollers: Do an experiment. Drive on a flat road at 60mph without a seatbelt. Open the sunroof. Crash into a concrete wall and see if you're nicely ejected straight up.
    The only somewhat reasonable explanation I've heard for bar rolling is that it allows them a chance to breathe once they have their stance and straps set. I have no idea if that's true, or if they even understand that's what they get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    SVJ won't be much different, so I don't see the point.

Sprint time differences will be no different, if sprints have not been practiced.

How does one measure body aches and pains?
    I've heard anecdote of both of the above changing drastically in some cases from strength training in athletes. If you can take a power clean from basically nothing to 225 lbs, why couldn't an SVJ change?

You'd recruit people with chronic joint pain and have them self-report frequency and/or severity of pain throughout the day in a particular area. Say, back pain, before and after an LP, over a period of say, 1 week. I know that deadlifting solved my back pain, and you also know that it does for everyone who does them. I used to get backaches from driving for anything over 15 minutes, now I don't. Aren't these the types of things that would be worth demonstrating in research? Or would you rather have him submit a paper on the breakdown of the mechanics of the rear foot elevated bosu ball split squat and it's vital importance to athletes everywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    I've heard anecdote of both of the above changing drastically in some cases from strength training in athletes. If you can take a power clean from basically nothing to 225 lbs, why couldn't an SVJ change?
    Because an SVJ does not involve accelerating a load external to your own body mass, and as you get stronger your body mass increases. The SVJ measures your ability to recruit motor units into contraction in about 0.25 seconds, and while increased strength helps, neuromuscular recruitment efficiency remains the bottleneck, and that just doesn't improve very much. The only place an SVJ goes up drastically with training is on the internet, which is where you heard this "anecdote."

You'd recruit people with chronic joint pain and have them self-report frequency and/or severity of pain throughout the day in a particular area. Say, back pain, before and after an LP, over a period of say, 1 week. I know that deadlifting solved my back pain, and you also know that it does for everyone who does them. I used to get backaches from driving for anything over 15 minutes, now I don't. Aren't these the types of things that would be worth demonstrating in research? Or would you rather have him submit a paper on the breakdown of the mechanics of the rear foot elevated bosu ball split squat and it's vital importance to athletes everywhere?
    You said "measure." Self-reporting is not "measuring" -- it is the bullshit of which the entirety of "nutrition science" is made. I didn't say deadlifts and squats don't improve back pain, because they almost always do. But try to be more precise.

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    Because you don't take your power clean from 0 to 225lbs without also taking your deadlift from 185lbs to 455lbs, unless you have good genetics and your power clean is 75/80% of your deadlift, but still, you gotta get stronger overall.
    The production of force is the trainable feature of the equation. You might attribute some improvement on technique development and similar factors, but it makes sense that you can't increase a SVJ by 40% with the only variable being that you created more motor neurons or fast twitch fibers and therefore better neuromuscular efficiency.

I do have a purely hypothetical question.
    Let's say I weigh 225lbs, I have a 1RM squat of 425 and 1RM deadlift of 455.
    Now let's say I get down to 200lbs, and my 1RMs become 395 and 430. Assuming this scenario is somewhat realistic, is there any chance my strength level diminishes less than my ability to use my strength to lift my now lighter body, therefore increasing my SVJ?
    In other words, if my SVJ was 20" when I was 225lbs, is there a chance it could increase because I am now lighter, but I retained most of my strength? Or is the decrease in strength due to bodyweight loss always proportional in this sense?
    Mabye there are too many factors at play to actually give an answer, like body composition for example.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post

I hope you understand that both Subby and me were being sarcastic here
    That was the hope and the assumption, yes.

The font would be nice, though... I put that in the same category as how it would be nice to have a relatively standard hand signal in traffic for "Oh crap, I'm sorry, I screwed up"... But that's not in the realm of sports science, so I'm digressing from the thread. (Insert that theoretical traffic hand signal here.)

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    Because you don't take your power clean from 0 to 225lbs without also taking your deadlift from 185lbs to 455lbs, unless you have good genetics and your power clean is 75/80% of your deadlift, but still, you gotta get stronger overall.
    The production of force is the trainable feature of the equation. You might attribute some improvement on technique development and similar factors, but it makes sense that you can't increase a SVJ by 40% with the only variable being that you created more motor neurons or fast twitch fibers and therefore better neuromuscular efficiency.

I do have a purely hypothetical question.
    Let's say I weigh 225lbs, I have a 1RM squat of 425 and 1RM deadlift of 455.
    Now let's say I get down to 200lbs, and my 1RMs become 395 and 430. Assuming this scenario is somewhat realistic, is there any chance my strength level diminishes less than my ability to use my strength to lift my now lighter body, therefore increasing my SVJ?
    In other words, if my SVJ was 20" when I was 225lbs, is there a chance it could increase because I am now lighter, but I retained most of my strength? Or is the decrease in strength due to bodyweight loss always proportional in this sense?
    Mabye there are too many factors at play to actually give an answer, like body composition for example.
    All decent questions, which I wouldn’t see a problem with examining in research. You can include bodyweight, body fat %, 1 rep max strength, etc. Even though you’d likely find that svj increases by mainly 2 inches for the average trainee (so nothing, basically), then that result is still recorded in the literature. I don’t see what the problem with that is.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456