starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Your insite on health care in the usa

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, and I don't think it would be good if gyms were required by law to have leg extension machines. Unless the government owned the hospitals. Or the gyms. Then it's out of my hands.
    Is it not unethical to refuse treatment to someone on the basis of money? I mean consequential cases, not plastic surgery or teeth whitening: gunshot victims, drug overdoses, critical illness, severe accidents.

I don’t feel great about a society that would just kick these people to the curb.

Is it ethical to compel a doctor to work for free? Is it ethical to compel someone else to pay him?

Quote Originally Posted by John Fioravanti View Post
    Is it not unethical to refuse treatment to someone on the basis of money? I mean consequential cases, not plastic surgery or teeth whitening: gunshot victims, drug overdoses, critical illness, severe accidents.

I don’t feel great about a society that would just kick these people to the curb.
    ERs are required by federal law to accept patients regardless of their ability to pay, so it is not like this question comes up in accidents or shootouts.

They work out a payment plan, something affordable for them. I know people paying $50/month on a large bill. Or the provider gets tired of it and writes it off. Bankrupt is better than dead, I'm sure you'll agree. Bankrupt is over in 7 years, dead is not.
    What I can't understand is why people think it is so awful to go bankrupt over healthcare costs. I would be willing to spend every dime I have to save my life. People go bankrupt every day because they bought too much stuff -- boats, cars McMansions, bling. I suppose people don't like spending money or paying the price for non-fun things, like healthcare, insurance, education, etc.

Is it ethical to compel a doctor to work for free? Is it ethical to compel someone else to pay him?
    No, I guess not. I don't think compulsion is ethical.

So then I'd ask, which immediate outcome is worse? We will always have to deal with inequities in health problems.

Quote Originally Posted by UberBabs View Post
    What I can't understand is why people think it is so awful to go bankrupt over healthcare costs. I would be willing to spend every dime I have to save my life. People go bankrupt every day because they bought too much stuff -- boats, cars McMansions, bling. I suppose people don't like spending money or paying the price for non-fun things, like healthcare, insurance, education, etc.
    The people who argue this want you to assume that bankruptcy is something like physical death, from which you never recover. They use it as a club for beating you toward socialized medicine.

I live in Canada and the state of our healthcare is dismal. Emergency wait times regularly over 8 hours, can’t find a family doctor, etc. I like that it is universal though, but man would I love some form of privatization trial run alongside our universal system.

There needs to be some form of safety net, regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodds View Post
    I live in Canada and the state of our healthcare is dismal. Emergency wait times regularly over 8 hours, can’t find a family doctor, etc. I like that it is universal though, but man would I love some form of privatization trial run alongside our universal system.

There is, in Alberta.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodds View Post

Fuck Trudeau.

starting strength coach development program
    I live in Alberta and I’m not aware of any outright privatization attempts. I know that they want to do private day surgeries in some nearby reservations which is exciting. Any more details?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast