starting strength gym

Thread: When to skip a lift?

Default When to skip a lift?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quick question with regards to skipping lifts. Working through the NLP and am supposed to lift today, however for the first time in a while I pitched fast pitch softball in a tournament this weekend and am pretty sore in the shoulders, glutes, etc. and all around pretty stiff. My lifts have been pretty heavy (for me) the last few weeks, and I worry that if I lift today I will not be able to make my weight jumps/overloads and may fail due to the soreness/fatigue from the weekend.

In a situation like this, am I better off trying to push through my lift today, or skipping a day to get to feeling 100% before I lift again? Thanks!

As I have pointed out several thousand times, your subjective perception of how you feel is irrelevant, because it is unreliable. If you don't want to train today, don't train, but if you can't train when you're tired and sore, you're going to have a very short career under the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    As I have pointed out several thousand times, your subjective perception of how you feel is irrelevant, because it is unreliable. If you don't want to train today, don't train, but if you can't train when you're tired and sore, you're going to have a very short career under the bar.
    It is ironic that the Prime Directive (~ your feelings are irrelevant) is not in the book (I think).

May have to add a section.

As I have pointed out several thousand times, your subjective perception of how you feel is irrelevant, because it is unreliable.

One of two Rip Truisms that surprised me when starting the program. The other is: Dead lifting will make a chronically sore back feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    One of two Rip Truisms that surprised me when starting the program. The other is: Dead lifting will make a chronically sore back feel better.
    Ripisms

starting strength coach development program
    Well, turns out you were right (as I expected). Added 5 lbs to my squat, bench, and deadlift and the weight moved just as easy or easier than Friday's session. Thanks!!