starting strength gym
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Low T and Missed Reps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Do they let you take any sleep aids you'd normally take when you're doing a sleep study?
    sweats or pajamas,
    a book,
    there was a tv in the room,
    but I think they controlled that also,
    no drugs, but I don't use aides anyway

this was about 15 years ago, who knows now

Those are absolutely terrible numbers and increase your risk of everything bad including prostate cancer, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer's disease, osteoporosis etc. There's no way you could build any significant lean muscle mass with a testosterone level that is literally less than my 75-year-old mothers. Yes my 75 year old mother is on hormones and her testosterone level is much better than yours.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Keith Nichols MD View Post
    Those are absolutely terrible numbers and increase your risk of everything bad including prostate cancer, cardiovascular disease, Alzheimer's disease, osteoporosis etc. There's no way you could build any significant lean muscle mass with a testosterone level that is literally less than my 75-year-old mothers. Yes my 75 year old mother is on hormones and her testosterone level is much better than yours.
    Which numbers are absolutely terrible? Got it that testosterone is low. Do any other numbers reported by the OP increase risk for these diseases?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Which numbers are absolutely terrible? Got it that testosterone is low. Do any other numbers reported by the OP increase risk for these diseases?
    I dunno about diseases but some of those lift numbers are baffling. 160 press for LP sets/reps after 3 months is pretty good. But only a 175 bench at the same time? And the squat out ahead of the deadlift? Something's strange here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Let me get this straight: A sleep study is where a guy that doesn't sleep very well goes to a strange facility in strange surroundings with people he does not know monitoring him while he ... sleeps?
    Many of the sleep studies can now be conducted at home, and you only need to pick up the equipment and return it after to get the results analyzed.

He didn't post any other levels for me to comment on. He did say that his thyroid labs were "acceptable "which means they were nowhere near optimal. The two most important hormones with regard to how you feel, function, perform, and overall health are thyroid and testosterone. As we age those two had the greatest impact on our health when they are optimized. Thyroid regulates temperature, metabolism, cerebral function, and energy levels. It protects you against cardiovascular disease, cognitive impairment, fatigue, Weight gain, memory loss, decreases visceral body fat and improves your lipid profile etc.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Keith Nichols MD View Post
    He didn't post any other levels for me to comment on. He did say that his thyroid labs were "acceptable "which means they were nowhere near optimal. The two most important hormones with regard to how you feel, function, perform, and overall health are thyroid and testosterone. As we age those two had the greatest impact on our health when they are optimized. Thyroid regulates temperature, metabolism, cerebral function, and energy levels. It protects you against cardiovascular disease, cognitive impairment, fatigue, Weight gain, memory loss, decreases visceral body fat and improves your lipid profile etc.
    Having just been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, your statement above struck a chord with me.

We talk a lot about testosterone and the downstream effects of Low T.

I'd love to hear more about thyroid issues / treatments, as it has taken two years for medical professionals to address my own situation. I had no idea how important a properly functioning thyroid is, especially when it comes to training. If there are ten hallmarks of a poorly functioning thyroid, I have eleven...

The problem with main stream medicine's treatment of thyroid is similar to its treatment of low testosterone. They are both significantly under treated. They will give you a little bit of thyroid and a little bit of testosterone and keep you within the so-called normal ranges even if you still have symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    sweats or pajamas,
    a book,
    there was a tv in the room,
    but I think they controlled that also,
    no drugs, but I don't use aides anyway

this was about 15 years ago, who knows now
    Thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    Is there a T-count at which, for any man, supplements should be tried? 250? 400?

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast