starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Low T and Missed Reps

Default Low T and Missed Reps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, I'm 24, 6'0", and 290 pounds. I've been on the Novice linear progression for about 3.5 months now, I'm squatting 310, deadlifting 290, benching 175, and pressing 160 - problematic numbers, I am aware. I also eat around 3500 cals a day with at least 230 grams of protein - I eat 2 steaks a day. I'm usually in bed by 9 and average 9.5 hours of sleep a night, despite waking up exhausted.

I've also had chronic issues of exhaustion, mental fog, weight gain, and erectile dysfunction for as long as I can remember. After recently reading up on low testosterone and listening to related SS podcasts, I decided to get mine checked, albeit at about 4pm. It came back at 229 ng/dl, with all other blood and thyroid levels being acceptable. I have a follow up appointment next week (again, later in the day) and will subsequently schedule a second blood test earlier in the day a week or two from then; I work in surgery and have a hard time scheduling any time off.

Especially since my squat and deadlift have climbed up to my bodyweight, the workouts have been absolutely destroying me. It probably doesn't help that I lift right after I leave my very stressful job, but it often takes me upwards of two hours to complete a workout due to the rest I have to take, lest I miss reps.

However I've been missing reps regardless as of late. I've been been stuck under a 310 squat twice in a row now and my last deadlift attempt of 290 was stapled to the floor. I've worked with a couple SSCs aswell as posting form checks to the FB page and my form is not problematic to the point of warranting these stalls.

So I'm fairly confident in my testosterone being a potential limiting factor here, but am curious as to your opinion on this. Likewise, are there any other potential problems you could see causing these issues. Also, how should I deal with these stalls? Should I deal with them as prescribed in the book, or is there something else I ought to try.

Thank you.

Watch my podcast with Dr. Keith Nichols. Basically, it doesn't matter what your numbers are, if you are symptomatic you add testosterone. You're also not eating enough protein or calories, and you may be sleeping badly on a shitty mattress. Clean out your nose with saline and use oxymetazoline nasal spray.

I appreciate the response.

sleep apnea ?
    sleep study ?

Let me get this straight: A sleep study is where a guy that doesn't sleep very well goes to a strange facility in strange surroundings with people he does not know monitoring him while he ... sleeps?

yeah, I know, I did one, felt I slept pretty well there, til they told me I didn't,
    a gazillion wires on your swim cap and who knows,
    but I didn't hear my wife snore once, so that was a plus

Quote Originally Posted by neilc1 View Post
    yeah, I know, I did one, felt I slept pretty well there, til they told me I didn't,
    a gazillion wires on your swim cap and who knows,
    but I didn't hear my wife snore once, so that was a plus
    Do they let you take any sleep aids you'd normally take when you're doing a sleep study?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Let me get this straight: A sleep study is where a guy that doesn't sleep very well goes to a strange facility in strange surroundings with people he does not know monitoring him while he ... sleeps?
    Not anymore. My Dad just had one. They send you a kit in the mail. You hook it up before bed and they monitor the results. You box the kit back up the next day and send it back.

That might actually work.

starting strength coach development program
    That's what I did. My whole problem with getting a sleep study done was exactly your concern Rip. How am I going to sleep well in a foreign environment? Am I supposed to bring my mattress and pillow and blanket.

The at-home sleep study went pretty well. It wasn't too bad.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast