starting strength gym
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Low T and Missed Reps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Is there a T-count at which, for any man, supplements should be tried? 250? 400?
    What is a "T-count"?

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    Is there a T-count at which, for any man, supplements should be tried? 250? 400?
    Hormones are way too complicated to take a blanket approach like this. For total testosterone 250ng/dl is low, 400ng/dl might be low, but it depends on a lot of other factors - including symptoms. A man with 600ng/dl might be "normal" but not "healthy." In 2022, it seems normal to be not healthy in many cases, but it may not necessarily be desirable to be "normal."

I'm not well-educated on hormone replacement, but I know enough to know there aren't easy answers except "if you are symptomatic as a result of hormone deficiencies, you can (and probably should) get it treated"
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I’m an idiot. I just meant testosterone level. Don’t know why that phrase came to mind.

Since you had mentioned thyroid, it wasn't clear. Watch the podcast with Keith Nichols. It should clear this up.

Thanks, Coach.

I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to check on a few non-serious things. I decided to have my testosterone measured,a new submitted blood today. In an email exchange, my doctor said, “Testesterone replacement therapy is totally optional, but if your testosterone level is over 300 I would not be recommending it.” Now, I have tested in the past year twice, at 410 and 515, so I’m not going to be recommended I would guess. And my “symptoms” I have to admit are not particularly compelling, but after watching Keith Nichols and Scott Howell on the SS podcast I see no downside to trying it, and lots of potential upside. First, am I wrong about that? Second, what should I focus on to get that recommendation? (And do a I even need the rec? Perhaps that just has to do with whether my insurance will cover it? I do not know the cost of the therapy).

Look at the more recent podcast with Dr. Nichols, couple of months ago.

Okay

Well, my T level came in at 639 today, so I think I can predict how my appointment with my GP is going to go tomorrow. I wonder if Dr. Nichols has a recommendation for a hormone optimization doc in the Southern California area…

starting strength coach development program
    Just hire Dr. Nichols.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast