starting strength gym
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Low T and Missed Reps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Keith Nichols MD View Post
    Honestly everyone over 40 would benefit from testosterone. Maintaining optimal levels is one of the keys to Health as we age. It's the free testosterone level that matters not the total and my guess is that you're free is not very good at all. Doctors have this fixation with the normal range because they don't understand that it is a normal range for unhealthy people. Life is much better outside than normal range in the so-called supraphysiologic range. If you're already losing hair then yes you will continue to lose hair and maybe even more rapidly. Sometimes it is a decision between hair and health. There are treatment options available to slow the loss of hair but nonetheless hair should not be the deciding factor with regard to improving your health.
    I agree hair loss should not be the deciding factor, but it may be a factor. But I’m not losing my hair at all, and I have had a most difficult time finding out whether TRT will cause hair loss if I am not losing my hair at all, and it does not seem like I will be. Maybe nobody knows this answer, but that seems unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I agree hair loss should not be the deciding factor, but it may be a factor. But I’m not losing my hair at all, and I have had a most difficult time finding out whether TRT will cause hair loss if I am not losing my hair at all, and it does not seem like I will be. Maybe nobody knows this answer, but that seems unlikely.
    I may have gained some hair but I've lost none.

I'm a CPAP patient. Yes, I have sleep apnea. It doesn't matter if you only sleep two hours while you at the place that does the sleep study. They're looking for very specific things, such as do you stop breathing. It's quite precise. You then receive about a 20 page report with tons of date. Rip--I know you love data.

Honestly everyone over 40 would benefit from testosterone. Maintaining optimal levels is one of the keys to Health as we age. It's the free testosterone level that matters not the total and my guess is that you're free is not very good at all. Doctors have this fixation with the normal range because they don't understand that it is a normal range for unhealthy people. Life is much better outside than normal range in the so-called supraphysiologic range. If you're already losing hair then yes you will continue to lose hair and maybe even more rapidly. Sometimes it is a decision between hair and health. There are treatment options available to slow the loss of hair but nonetheless hair should not be the deciding factor with regard to improving your health.
    Do you have a link or citation to anything that is somewhat scientific that says this? I'm 53. I remember being tested for testosterone and being told that the result was normal. I don't mind having to find another doctor to get testosterone replacement but I want to make sure that I'm not endangering my health. I believe I recall something about testosterone replacement being linked to cancer. Thanks for your help.

I believe I took a sleeping pill. At the time, I took sleeping pills every night.

I believe anything below 300 is below normal. They won't always immediately start testosterone replacement therapy, but you appear to be symptomatic and you also have a need for the strength.

If anyone has any suggestions on anything I should read about testosterone replacement therapy being given when the doctors typically say no, please post a link. The doctor, a few years ago, said that I was normal. I actually don't recall the levels. But I am 53 and would like it for me if it's beneficial. However, I don't want to do it unless it's safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    If you're not losing your hair then you're not going to on TRT. Do you have a genetic predisposition for male pattern hair loss then testosterone will only hasten the loss, it won't cause you to lose hair that you weren't going to lose already.

Quote Originally Posted by keengkong2 View Post
    I'm a CPAP patient. Yes, I have sleep apnea. It doesn't matter if you only sleep two hours while you at the place that does the sleep study. They're looking for very specific things, such as do you stop breathing. It's quite precise. You then receive about a 20 page report with tons of date. Rip--I know you love data.

Do you have a link or citation to anything that is somewhat scientific that says this? I'm 53. I remember being tested for testosterone and being told that the result was normal. I don't mind having to find another doctor to get testosterone replacement but I want to make sure that I'm not endangering my health. I believe I recall something about testosterone replacement being linked to cancer. Thanks for your help.

I believe I took a sleeping pill. At the time, I took sleeping pills every night.

I believe anything below 300 is below normal. They won't always immediately start testosterone replacement therapy, but you appear to be symptomatic and you also have a need for the strength.

If anyone has any suggestions on anything I should read about testosterone replacement therapy being given when the doctors typically say no, please post a link. The doctor, a few years ago, said that I was normal. I actually don't recall the levels. But I am 53 and would like it for me if it's beneficial. However, I don't want to do it unless it's safe.
    This kind of shit does not add to the discussion. Your beliefs are not interesting, and you have not absorbed any of the information from the podcasts that would have made these posts unnecessary.

Most guidelines are completely biased against the use of testosterone. I've stated this previously and I'll say it again: I can pull dozens of studies to prove that testosterone doesn't work just like these guidelines did. It's all right there nobody can argue with it they gave me an testosterone and it didn't improve the condition they were studying. The devil is always in the details. The common denominator in the studies where testosterone didn't work is that they only raised testosterone a little bit. I can also prove that antibiotics don't work. I can design a study and give only a little bit of the antibiotic and prove that it doesn't work for a specific infection. The same holds true for testosterone. When you only raise testosterone a couple of hundred points it will not have a significant effect on most men.
    Question for The Doctor:

Why do you think male testosterone levels are going down (in general) across the board in society over time?
    I have seen several news articles on the subject.

1- obesity epidemic?
    2- diet changes?
    3- 'forever chemicals' acting as hormone disruptors?

I think some have noted this is not exclusive to the USA.
    (i.e. our high obesity rates; pollution; modern physically inactive lifestyle; etc)

I would imagine if they re-normalize the modern day average levels for the 'new normal' .... well, that would be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    I would imagine if they re-normalize the modern day average levels for the 'new normal' .... well, that would be bad.
    This is being done.

Interesting. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    I may have gained some hair but I've lost none.
    If you're not losing your hair then you're not going to on TRT. Do you have a genetic predisposition for male pattern hair loss then testosterone will only hasten the loss, it won't cause you to lose hair that you weren't going to lose already.
    Dr., thank you very much for responding to my question. I seriously appreciate it.

What really amazes me is that men still stick to their hair so much. Study after study has shown that women prefer men with shaved heads, precisely because they understand at a higher (or lower, depending which school of psychobabble one prefers) than aesthetic level that hair loss in men is a sign of high testosterone.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by keengkong2 View Post

How dangerous was testosterone when you were 18 with high levels? Testosterone has been used and abused for decades since it was first used clinically in the mid-1930s, and it has never, let me repeat never, been shown to cause harm in any randomized control trial to date, and there have been thousands done. I will link you to some more recent guidelines regarding treatment. If you will look at the literature that they discuss with regard to benefits on various organ systems you'll understand how beneficial testosterone is, and that there is actually no harm with treatment.

https://doi.org/10.1080/13685538.2021.1962840

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer View Post
    Question for The Doctor:

Why do you think male testosterone levels are going down (in general) across the board in society over time?
    I have seen several news articles on the subject.
    A sedentary lifestyle and the western diet certainly have an affect on testosterone levels, but when you look at the studies they specifically report that these alone cannot explain the precipitous decline in testosterone levels over the last couple of decades. If you look at more of the research, this precipitous decline in testosterone levels as well as sperm levels correlate directly with the increase in industrial chemicals. They go hand-in-hand. You can go to the Endocrine Society website and there is a section on endocrine disrupting chemicals, and you can learn about what I am talking about.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast