starting strength gym

Thread: thank you and a hip replacement question

Default thank you and a hip replacement question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

51, 5'10", 225

SQ 230x5x3
    DL 305x5x1
    Press 172x5x3
    Bench 300x5x3

First off, I want to say thank you for your great material and clear instructions and put another testimonial in the pile. Getting a little bit older, I had fallen into the trap of thinking heavier weights were something I should start backing off of. The outcome of that was less strong, more back pain. Reading your material and thinking about the body's ability to adapt set me right.

I had one hip replaced in the fall of 2020. I let it go way too far before getting surgery, but I am fine now. Between never learning to deadlift or squat properly prior to Starting Strength, and a really painful hip, my lower body stuff was weak and imbalanced and I was always tweaking my lower back from squats or day to day life.

Up to now I have been purposefully slow to increase the weight on the sq/dl to prevent doing something stupid to myself or my new hip. But now I can feel that things are falling into place with learning the form and getting the imbalance ironed out. Strength wise, I feel capable of keeping those weights moving on up now.

Does anyone have any experience or specific recommendations for what kind of weights move you from 'no worries' to 'excessive wear' on an artificial hip?

I've never heard of anybody having problems with a hip prosthesis. Knees, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by M750 View Post
    Hello everyone, long time reader, first time poster.

51, 5'10", 225

SQ 230x5x3
    DL 305x5x1
    Press 172x5x3
    Bench 300x5x3

First off, I want to say thank you for your great material and clear instructions and put another testimonial in the pile. Getting a little bit older, I had fallen into the trap of thinking heavier weights were something I should start backing off of. The outcome of that was less strong, more back pain. Reading your material and thinking about the body's ability to adapt set me right.

I had one hip replaced in the fall of 2020. I let it go way too far before getting surgery, but I am fine now. Between never learning to deadlift or squat properly prior to Starting Strength, and a really painful hip, my lower body stuff was weak and imbalanced and I was always tweaking my lower back from squats or day to day life.

Up to now I have been purposefully slow to increase the weight on the sq/dl to prevent doing something stupid to myself or my new hip. But now I can feel that things are falling into place with learning the form and getting the imbalance ironed out. Strength wise, I feel capable of keeping those weights moving on up now.

Does anyone have any experience or specific recommendations for what kind of weights move you from 'no worries' to 'excessive wear' on an artificial hip?
    M750

I had a hip replacement 18 years ago, now current age 68 almost 69. That is tough to answer. However I went from a few years off squatting and deadlifting up to a 400# squat and a 430 deadlift within a couple of years time .However I did not go back until I felt that my surgically corrected hip was stronger overall to take on the stress .I had limped for approx 5-6 years. There is no blue print other than I would say start slow and keep building your strength . The wear an tear depends upon the materials in your hip , size of ball and socket replacement and the skill of your surgeon. I too had that question,but I believe that you will know it when you start to feel it. I was my own experiment and had always deadlifted and squatted before hip issues. I also ended up power cleaning 185 at age 58 after an 18 year lay off. I have sine given them up because they are not going to help other than cause an injury. If you listen to the Doctors they will say "Don't Lift" although there are no studies to the contrary. Keep up proper nutrition and I feel that age, genetics, will play a part into how high you wish to go.

All the best THIP

Quote Originally Posted by M750 View Post
    I had one hip replaced in the fall of 2020.
    Not sure if I'm experiencing the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon, but I've noticed in my little world that many men in their early 50's are getting hip replacements. What causes the need for this? Anything specific in your case?

Sounds like you may have a local-doctor problem.

Quote Originally Posted by od1 View Post
    Not sure if I'm experiencing the Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon, but I've noticed in my little world that many men in their early 50's are getting hip replacements. What causes the need for this? Anything specific in your case?
    In my case I was 50 and had problems for 5-6 years. No Dr told me to get a hip replacement, but when you limp for 5-6 years and constantly in pain, and your quality of life changes from very active to you are miserable you consider what is important for your quality of life. I was told that if I had not been a lifter , I may have needed one sooner than later. The surgeon that operated on me could not believe the bone density of the femur which was positive. You know when you need a hip replacement and decide to get it. In my case the joint degreased because of damage to a growthplte in the joint as a result of an accident jumping hurdles. It caused advanced arthritis. I had 3 opinions on surgery and all came to the same conclusions. Genetics and wear and tear are different for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Sounds like you may have a local-doctor problem.
    That's what I was thinking; I suppose these docs need to get their kids through college somehow.

I saw an orthopedist in my 30's for knee pain. Told me to quit sports, and get a surgery. Went to another doc, sent me to physical therapy, where the problem was solved. I was also given the knowledge to address flare-ups, thus negating the need for any future doc visits on the same issue.

I try to tell folks to exhaust all non-invasive methods before doing surgery. Instead they get multiple opinions from different vultures (I mean, doctors), each obviously with the same motivations, and use that to conclude surgery is the only option.

I've seen Eddy Coan rep 585 with two fake hips. His real knees bother him more than his fake hips.

He's done 725 in here on one hip.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by od1 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Mine started in my mid 40s when I would occasionally drag/stub my right toe walking on level ground, like my foot didn't pick up enough, but no pain. Slowly started having a little pain in what I thought was my hip flexor after activities with lots of lateral motion. Then it hurt all the time. Then it hurt a lot all the time. Got a cortisone shot, first one was magic for 3-4 months, next one didn't do much at all. Finally got to where walking across a big parking lot to go into the office was a test of character and resolve. Crappy mood all the time, etc. Was squatting (poorly) through it all but it didn't fix itself. Wife had enough and scheduled some dr interviews for me, I picked a winner and went with it. Felt better in the hospital that night than I had in years. For root cause, only thing I can think of is I remember wacking my foot on a rock when riding a dirt bike in my 20s, and I remember it felt like it really hammered my hip and hurt for awhile. Could have been that injury set me up for future problems. Regardless, when you need it you need it, and for the ones that go well you feel great when it's done.