starting strength gym

Thread: Steve Ross SSC: Pro-tip on Step 3 of the Deadlift

Default Steve Ross SSC: Pro-tip on Step 3 of the Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Is there a correct/incorrect time to take the breath?

I usually cue breath last thing before beginning to pull - under the assumption that a too big breath might limit spinal extension.

However in the video Steve breathes before extending his thoracic.

If you have to choose between tightness and extension, you choose tightness. I coach the breath before step 5.

Thank, Coach!

Tall guy here who has set his back this way for a long time. I have a very small group of guys I’m coaching and all the tall guys with long legs seem to be able to really exhibit this “bar pop” extremely well.

The shorter guys with “normal” femur lengths and anthropometry can pull the slack out but rarely pop it off the ground.

I recognize the goal is not necessarily to pop it off the ground, but rather to take the slack out. That said, all the tall guys, myself included, can seemingly pop it off the ground at pretty high weights. Mine leaves the ground up until about 350 or so.

I suspect arm length in relation to leg length has something to do with this, but I’m just curious if this is just a small sample I’m dealing with or there is something more to it?

If you watch a lot of the coaches pull, they take their breath, squeeze the chest up and then initiate the pull. I suspect they, like me, find it harder to get a big breath of air after having set their backs.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry, Steve. I’m not sure if you were trying to answer my question or not but I’m not seeing how that applies in this scenario?

I’m just curious if tall guys like you and me display a better tendency to pop the bar off the ground when setting their back? I know mine looks almost identical to yours, but my buddy who is 5’6” cannot make it happen. That said, I swear he is part orangutan as his knuckles look like they hit his knees half the time.

It’s just a curiosity I’ve been noticing and your video was well timed. I am in agreeable with you on breathing before setting, for sure!