starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self sufficiency topic: First Aid

Question Self sufficiency topic: First Aid

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey, Rip.

My favorite SS podcast of yours was the Self-sufficiency podcast that you put out a year or so ago. During that podcast, you mention stocking up on antibiotics, etc. You may have even mentioned ordering medication from an Indian telemarketer, but I digress.

My question is this - do you have any recommendations on books, resources around becoming competent/confident at applying first aid? I've taken a CPR course year ago, but that's the extent to my experience.

Thanks!

All my first aid training is 50 years old, and what I would do now is informed by a lot of anatomy and physiology education I didn't have at the time. We'll ask the board.

If you're thinking of having to deal with significant first aid emergencies until trained help arrives (or is unavailable), look at a Wilderness First Aid (WFA) course. The information is relevant to not just the wilderness, but during natural/civil disasters where help may not arrive. While that link goes to the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), there are many other organizations that teach the course. NOLS just happens to teach courses worldwide.

Another good one that pretty much anyone should take (in addition to CPR/AED) is Stop The Bleed. It's a short course that covers a wide variety of bleed scenarios with practical exercises. It's one thing to read about packing a deep thigh wound, it's another to do it on an actively bleeding prosthetic (the next best thing to actually doing it on a live pig).

Both of those are good starting points.

Might be a good topic for a guest with more up to date knowledge, if you're worried stuff you know might be out of date. I can't imagine a ton of it is though, the human body still essentially works the same way it did decades ago.

The Red Cross has classes for Basic Life Support, BLS, and First Aid for Severe Trauma, FAST. More advanced classes are Advanced Life Support, ALS, and Pediatric Life Support, PLS. This is on the Red Cross website.

Whatever kit you put together make sure it has what is needed to deal with a GSW and learn how to use them. Most never even think about this when putting together their grab-box of bandaids, eye drops and ointment.

Apologies if this was covered in the podcast.

My strong recommendation would be to learn first aid through widely available courses and focus on TCCC/TECC first.

TCCC and TECC Concepts - Crisis Medicine

Those will be your most necessary proficiencies and the most broadly applicable.

I would prefer a back alley takedown course myself

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I would prefer a back alley takedown course myself
    I wonder if anyone here has any practical experience in Kung Fu.
    Where is Hurling?

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

starting strength coach development program
    The same thought has been on my mind.

Bare minimum, take a CPR/AED course.

It's an unusual idea, but I also suggest buying an AED to keep in the car so it's always with you at home and on the go. Philips has an "affordable" one: HeartStart OnSite AED - OnSite Defibrillator | Philips

If someone chokes, get electrocuted, etc and loses consciousness, you will have a device at your finger tips that drastically increases the chances of survival and decreases the chances of permanent damage. If you have children at home, buy a smaller set of pads too.

Keep a first aid kit on hand also. Build your own kit after taking the course. Meds, bandages, splints, etc.

Speaking of unusual I'm going to EMT school next month because I have lost all trust in the medical establishment. I rushed a close friend to the ER a couple of months back and the first thing they did was put a mask on him, ask if he's been exposed to COVID, and asked him to stand in line to check in. No overnight stay, which according to an ER nurse friend is standard protocol. This was the last straw of many. I can't trust these fools in an emergency situation. I plan on becoming an EMT and volunteering here and there to stay sharp and accumulate practical experience - luckily these idiots have lifted the vaccine mandate so this is a real possibility for me now. If you can swing night school for a couple of days per week for a few months, go for it. I'm doing an accelerated course to get it over with asap. I am especially interested in learning how to treat dehydration with an IV since I live in a hot/dry climate and at least three situations have come up recently where this would've been extremely useful versus trying to get an urgent care or ER to cooperate on short notice.

If you want to buy the book they use in the EMT course, here's the link: Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured (Book & Navigate 2 Essentials Access) https://a.co/d/6n9v7z5

The publisher sells a 12th edition (current) if you want to search around for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast