starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SS Gyms Podcast #23: Bodybuilding vs Strength Training with Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    That's a good idea. If anyone reading this fits the description, please summarize what you've done and what you think would be interesting to discuss on a podcast.
    I have about half of all of my training time between 2012 and 2022 recorded on paper. I've also done a lot of bullshit that would be funny to laugh at during an in-depth dissection of my training logs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gleichauf View Post
    I’d like to hear Stef Bradford on the podcast.
    stef talking about whatever the hell she wants to talk about would be great.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheChubbyViking View Post
    Ray, you said it yourself toward the beginning of this podcast (paraphrased) “I wish I could get a group of 160-pound high school guys doing specialization exercises in the gym and have an hour-long conversation with them.” Get 2-4 skinny high school/college guys on the podcast and try to convince them of the efficacy of the Starting Strength method over whatever “program” they are currently on.
    Ideally, 1 of them would maybe be a bit more experienced and thus be able to engage with more of the conceptual side (i.e. what actually causes muscle growth, why sets of five, etc.) while the others would be more interested in the practical side (why am I strength training, why should I get strong instead of razor abz, etc.)

Potentially a rather chaotic podcast episode, but also potentially one of the most helpful and entertaining.

However, you know the ins-and-outs of podcasting that I don’t, so I recognize that my proposal may have some innate flaw that makes it hard to pull off.
    I really, deeply and truly enjoyed the podcast as well. As much of a Rip nut-swinger as I am (and I am a huge fan) I have always been "irritated" at the dismissal of bodybuilding by Rip and the SS gang as a worthless and perhaps even fatuous goal. I believe that almost everyone wiht a functioning sex drive is a closet bodybuilder, in the sense that we all want to use our training to build and maintain a strong and A) muscular B) lean(er or ish) 3) attractive physique. I have never seen bodybuilding (not so much the competitive sport, but the goal of a more muscular, lean and attractive physique) as anything other than a valid training goal, just as valid as strength for better performance at silly, childish games (nobody here seems to dispute that getting stronger to better play at hobbies, games, sports and pastimes is a silly, vain or fatuous, even though it obviously is.) To be honest, looking good and getting laid is a more serious business than "playing at sport," as our Euro-weenie friends might say. Yes, I know, women only care about dick and money. But as true as that is, they are a lot more receptive to conversation when youre lean and muscular.

Looking like a sexy beast is every bit as valid as fighting osteoporosis and menopausal depression. And as Baker pointed out, becoming fluent in SS is the best way to get on the highway to being jacked and tan.

A podcast with a bunch of younger guys who arent already SS acolytes would be a great discussion and one I would love to hear, especially because I am not 100% sure of why they arent all already on board, esp considering almost every week some young dude under 25 comes up to me and asks me an honest and curious question about training to gey yoked and swole. Understanding their preconcepotions and mistaken beleifs, and coming up with quick and easy rejoinders would be very helpful to spreading the word. And selling more books.

It's possible that I've dealt with your concerns: Bodybuilding Mythology | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Yes, I know, women only care about dick and money. But as true as that is, they are a lot more receptive to conversation when youre lean and muscular.
    Women very much care about physical appearance, but I think that men vastly overstate just how lean they need to be.

Thank you. Any topic or guest requests?
    Marty Gallagher. About strength and life.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you. Any topic or guest requests?
    Jim Steel

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123