starting strength gym
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychological Force v External Resistance of Food

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Owen View Post
    My data is the many hundreds of members who strength train, bodybuild and powerlift at a popular black iron gym where I’ve trained for the last 27 years hearing them complain to me about being fatter than they want to be.
    Complaining about being too fat is a complaint about their own self-discipline. If a guy is too fat to suit his preferences, he corrects it. The SS program doesn't make people fat, and you're not a clever troll.

But let me ask an important question: How tall are you and what is your bodyweight?

1. Do you agree with my assertion that many people who weight train at all levels of advancement are fatter than they want to be? If
    you agree, why are they so?
    I agree that lots of men go on a "cut" when they should be gaining bodyweight and strength. Why this is so is perhaps something you know quite a bit about, since you are struggling with it yourself.

2. During your own lifetime of lifting weights, have you GENERALLY been fatter than you would like to be despite having the knowledge and options of doing something about it? If “yes”, why so?
    When I was very young, and still in the bodybuilding/leanness mindset that you are still in now. My biggest regret was not having gone up to 242 when I was competing, where I would have done my best total. At 5'8" and 242 with a 725 squat, 450 bench, and 750 deadlift, my appearance would have been just fine, even at 17% bodyfat.

These questions arise from Baker’s recent podcast where he said a lot of lifters can do the training part but the find the diet part more difficult (be it gaining muscle or losing fat).

I appreciate it’s not just a weight trainer’s problem being fatter than they would like to be, it’s a general population problem. However, given that many weight trainers carry a certain level of haughtiness towards those who are not big and strong (even if they don’t always directly convey their superior attitude), the haughtiness is unjustified if those big strong weight trainers are fatter than they want to be because they haven’t got the discipline to control their food choices. Strong yet weak as above is not good.
    Once again, your height and weight, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Complaining about being too fat is a complaint about their own self-discipline. If a guy is too fat to suit his preferences, he corrects it. The SS program doesn't make people fat, and you're not a clever troll.

But let me ask an important question: How tall are you and what is your bodyweight?

I agree that lots of men go on a "cut" when they should be gaining bodyweight and strength. Why this is so is perhaps something you know quite a bit about, since you are struggling with it yourself.

When I was very young, and still in the bodybuilding/leanness mindset that you are still in now. My biggest regret was not having gone up to 242 when I was competing, where I would have done my best total. At 5'8" and 242 with a 725 squat, 450 bench, and 750 deadlift, my appearance would have been just fine, even at 17% bodyfat.

Once again, your height and weight, please.
    Troll???? I’m a fan of SS and said in my first post that SS and other programs are WRONGLY blamed for someone getting fat. Can’t you read properly? I just asked a question but clearly I’ve hit a raw nerve (or a sensitive soft spot). You answered my question though, so thank you. Keep up the good work!

You never asked for my height and weight, so why the “once again?” Can’t you read properly?

5 foot 10, 252lbs, 20% bodyfat (calipers), deadlift 525 1RM (age 51)

I have to tell you, it was way easier for me to sandbag a bad lifting session after one really bad set and run to Wendy's for "recovery purposes" than it was finishing the workout I abandoned.

Your numbers look a little chubby to me. We've had a lot of trolls recently, and your presentation here -- as well as in the post I deleted about Ray's podcast -- was trolling. Who -- at 5'10" and 252, and 20% bodyfat, asks questions like this:

1. Do you agree with my assertion that many people who weight train at all levels of advancement are fatter than they want to be? If
    you agree, why are they so?

2. During your own lifetime of lifting weights, have you GENERALLY been fatter than you would like to be despite having the knowledge and options of doing something about it? If “yes”, why so?
    You obviously are a fat guy (by internet standards), and should be "fatter than you'd like to be", and yet you stay fat. The obvious answer to your question -- "Why is it that some people can be big and strong and lift heavyweights (sic) but not get over-fat" -- is that there are individual differences between lifters that obviously explain different levels of bodyfat and the way the individual perceives his body composition. Obviously. A normal guy at 5'10" and 252 at the ripe old age of 51 does not ask a question like this, or frame it in this way, so you got treated like a troll. As far as I know you're BigRedBull et al using another IP address, since it always starts off as troll-in-disguise. I deleted the other post since you were intentionally abrasive, and I'm tired of that kind of shit. I guess I should have deleted this one too, since your intent is clear to me. But since Satch has seen fit to respond, you get to stay.

This is Bigredbull for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    This is Bigredbull for sure.
    I believe this is all a big convoluted attempt by our 51 year old self considered fat man, to call Rip fat and have him admit that he is fat because of laziness.
    Mabye I've read too many trolls on here and read through the lines too much.
    Mr Owen, I gotta tell ya, pulling 525lbs at 51 years old, you will always be strong before any other physical adjective.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I believe this is all a big convoluted attempt by our 51 year old self considered fat man, to call Rip fat and have him admit that he is fat because of laziness.
    Rip is fat because he is pink.

The entire fucking population is overweight. At least be strong to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your numbers look a little chubby to me. We've had a lot of trolls recently, and your presentation here -- as well as in the post I deleted about Ray's podcast -- was trolling. Who -- at 5'10" and 252, and 20% bodyfat, asks questions like this:

You obviously are a fat guy (by internet standards), and should be "fatter than you'd like to be", and yet you stay fat. The obvious answer to your question -- "Why is it that some people can be big and strong and lift heavyweights (sic) but not get over-fat" -- is that there are individual differences between lifters that obviously explain different levels of bodyfat and the way the individual perceives his body composition. Obviously. A normal guy at 5'10" and 252 at the ripe old age of 51 does not ask a question like this, or frame it in this way, so you got treated like a troll. As far as I know you're BigRedBull et al using another IP address, since it always starts off as troll-in-disguise. I deleted the other post since you were intentionally abrasive, and I'm tired of that kind of shit. I guess I should have deleted this one too, since your intent is clear to me. But since Satch has seen fit to respond, you get to stay.
    A well-intentioned simple question gets asked on the back of a great point made by Baker and this is the level of response? Accusations of trolling and crazy talk of energy drinks????

Rip says I’m in a “phase” of caring about too much bodyfat regarding paying attention to aesthetics which Ray stated he does too on the podcast, as do most rational people care about not having a pot belly. Clearly Mark outgrew (literally) this phase a very, very long time ago and like a lunatic in an asylum claiming to be the only sane one, finds it more comfortable to view his pot belly and stout appearance as other peoples’ problems of misperception while choosing to publicly laugh instead of cry about his aesthetics (the latter being the more commensurate response). Like I said, strong yet weak, not a good place to be for a 64 year old who self-labels as smart. The fact that other SS employees like Chase, Andy Baker etc. have not outgrown their rational attention to aesthetics, allowing themselves to exist as big, strong and not over-fat is credit to them and reflects very poorly on Marknas SS’s leader and Fatter Elder Statesman.

My post started off as polite enquiry and a compliment to Baker. It got replied to with snark, hence the current tone. Interesting way to treat new members…

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Owen View Post
    A well-intentioned simple question gets asked on the back of a great point made by Baker and this is the level of response? Accusations of trolling and crazy talk of energy drinks????

Rip says I’m in a “phase” of caring about too much bodyfat regarding paying attention to aesthetics which Ray stated he does too on the podcast, as do most rational people care about not having a pot belly. Clearly Mark outgrew (literally) this phase a very, very long time ago and like a lunatic in an asylum claiming to be the only sane one, finds it more comfortable to view his pot belly and stout appearance as other peoples’ problems of misperception while choosing to publicly laugh instead of cry about his aesthetics (the latter being the more commensurate response). Like I said, strong yet weak, not a good place to be for a 64 year old who self-labels as smart. The fact that other SS employees like Chase, Andy Baker etc. have not outgrown their rational attention to aesthetics, allowing themselves to exist as big, strong and not over-fat is credit to them and reflects very poorly on Marknas SS’s leader and Fatter Elder Statesman.

My post started off as polite enquiry and a compliment to Baker. It got replied to with snark, hence the current tone. Interesting way to treat new members…
    What is my bodyfat%? I asked this several months ago and didn't get an answer. You obviously know, so tell us.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast