starting strength gym
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Psychological Force v External Resistance of Food

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Because "fat control" runs counter to strength gain. You will lose strength and muscle when you actively try to cut away at large chunks of weight. Everyone complains about being more fat than they'd like because they've been saturated with the same marketing as the rest of us, big muscular guys who seem to have nothing but skin over said muscles.

I have no problem with getting bigger but I suspect that I am not the only person lifting weights that when they get too big their blood pressure presents problems. Im not willing to risk a heart attack to squat 750 pounds. Maybe if it was for an all time world record it might be worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    I have no problem with getting bigger but I suspect that I am not the only person lifting weights that when they get too big their blood pressure presents problems. Im not willing to risk a heart attack to squat 750 pounds. Maybe if it was for an all time world record it might be worth the risk.
    I don't think you've got much to worry about, Eric.

What's the name of this subreddit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    Do you think it is always the same guy or are there multiple guys?
    It doesn't matter as long as we are having fun!
    ...or as long as Rip tolerates it

These are the responses of people who are most likely over fat with pot bellies projecting their own neurosis. They likely have irrational perceptions of their own excessive fat and fatter than they want to be. They can’t or won’t do anything about losing their slop due to sloth or lack of self-discipline which they’ve repackaged and sold to themselves as the problem of external influences (media) or deludedly rebranded their sloth and lack of self-discipline to themselves as “acceptance” or “wisdom of age”. Again, not everyone who is big and strong has a pot belly for the majority of the time eg. Baker (not a drug user as he states), Ray etc and both of them have a sensible regard for aesthetics. Your 5th grade level incorrect accusations of homosexuality further debase your arguments. We can all see the debating level of most participants here Rip, not a good look for them or SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Owen View Post
    Rip says I’m in a “phase” of caring about too much bodyfat regarding paying attention to aesthetics which Ray stated he does too on the podcast, as do most rational people care about not having a pot belly. Clearly Mark outgrew (literally) this phase a very, very long time ago and like a lunatic in an asylum claiming to be the only sane one, finds it more comfortable to view his pot belly and stout appearance as other peoples’ problems of misperception while choosing to publicly laugh instead of cry about his aesthetics (the latter being the more commensurate response). Like I said, strong yet weak, not a good place to be for a 64 year old who self-labels as smart. The fact that other SS employees like Chase, Andy Baker etc. have not outgrown their rational attention to aesthetics, allowing themselves to exist as big, strong and not over-fat is credit to them and reflects very poorly on Marknas SS’s leader and Fatter Elder Statesman.
    Come back in 40 years and post a shirtless pic. The fuck is up with all these 20 year olds coming here to dunk on old guys for not having six packs lately? Is it all the same dude?

Regardless of training advancement, why do many strength lifters, weight lifters, powerlifters and bodybuilders get and remain fatter than they would like to be when they have the option of doing something about it?

They can do the lifting part, but not the fat control part ie. too mentally and physiologically weak to resist AMRAP with the knife and fork and beer glass.
    Being less fat is not a primary goal for everyone. I'm not buying into your premise that there are many lifters who are fatter than THEY would like to be. Maybe YOU think they should be less fat?

Not everyone wants to do what's necessary to get and maintain an Instagram-approved physique. Food and drink are a big part of most people's lives. Not everyone has absolute control over their food environment. Maybe someone else in the household does the cooking. Maybe you are required to eat out a lot due to work. Genetics makes it easier for some and harder for others. When my mom hands me a big slice of her homemade strawberry rhubarb pie, I'm going to say thank you, and eat the whole damn thing instead of telling her sorry, no thanks, it doesn't fit my macros. Your mileage/choices may vary.

These are the responses of people who are most likely over fat with pot bellies projecting their own neurosis. They likely have irrational perceptions of their own excessive fat and fatter than they want to be. They can’t or won’t do anything about losing their slop due to sloth or lack of self-discipline which they’ve repackaged and sold to themselves as the problem of external influences (media) or deludedly rebranded their sloth and lack of self-discipline to themselves as “acceptance” or “wisdom of age”. Again, not everyone who is big and strong has a pot belly for the majority of the time eg. Baker (not a drug user as he states), Ray etc and both of them have a sensible regard for aesthetics. Your 5th grade level incorrect accusations of homosexuality further debase your arguments. We can all see the debating level of most participants here Rip, not a good look for them or SS.
    He's right, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Come back in 40 years and post a shirtless pic. The fuck is up with all these 20 year olds coming here to dunk on old guys for not having six packs lately? Is it all the same dude?
    Guy says he's 51 and 20% bodyfat, which is "too fat." This is his personal Hell, let him enjoy it by thinking he has company.

Bodybuilding Mythology | Mark Rippetoe

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Is it all the same dude?
    I am pretty sure it is, but the styles vary somewhat, so it could be multiple dudes.
    @Shiva - if I understand it correctly, not eating is the equivalent of force production, psychological in this case. The external resistance against which this force production is applied is food which fatties are unable to not eat.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast