starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey RIP. Am I condemned to never doing push-ups again?

Default Hey RIP. Am I condemned to never doing push-ups again?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    30 years ago I increased my pushup count from 35 reps to 50 reps by incorporating 2X8 dips.

Now I'm using a machine with a selectable counter weight to do dips. I'm stuck on 3X5 machine dips twice a week with 120lbs counter weight.. I'm 226 Lbs now as opposed to 1989 when I was 211.

Tonight I pulled 185 lbs X 5 and squated 135 3X5.
    Is it possible to be an upper body eunuch while having good results on lower body exercises?

70 years old here.

What are your bench and press numbers?

My best bench ever was 150 my best press was 72. Once I was stuck I stopped trying and the heal issues came into play.

I'm doing dips, squats, and deads twice a week. The squats and deads are coming along nicely after 8 workouts. Dips are stuck. I like them, though.

As long as you're having fun, carry on.

I am. I'm happy that I'm progressing on my Squats and Deads. A coaching session with Cody 2 years ago helped a lot. I need to go back.

None of my business, but have you considered micro plates for your OPs and Bench?

I don't do benches any more. For some reason I always seem to end up with tendinitis.

There is no way to put micro weights in the dip machine. If my next dip session doesn't produce results, I'll just adjust the counter weight and do a few more reps per set and experiment with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    I don't do benches any more. For some reason I always seem to end up with tendinitis.

There is no way to put micro weights in the dip machine. If my next dip session doesn't produce results, I'll just adjust the counter weight and do a few more reps per set and experiment with that.
    If only someone else had already experimented with all this bullshit and came out with a simple yet precise way to get stronger really fast

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ChessGuy View Post
    Not sure if I understand the type of dip machine you're using. If it is the assisted kind with a weight stack, you can hang a micro plate, or any plate, from the pin used to select the weight on the weight stack thus increasing the weight you're using by whatever the plate weighs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast