starting strength gym

Thread: Is it time to incorporate a light squat day?

Default Is it time to incorporate a light squat day?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    5'10", 210 lbs, 27yo. Been doing the program for 2.5 months. Starting weight was ~185.
    Squat is at 300, and I've jumped 5 lbs every workout (a few bigger jumps early on as I started with just the bar).

I don't see myself hitting a wall on the squat in the next few weeks, as I haven't had any issues other than the fact that they are just getting harder.
    However, does this seem like a good time to incorporate a "light" squat day in the middle of the week? I'm a little torn on this one. On one hand, I think I can probably handle 3 jumps a week for another couple of weeks, however I've definitely noticed my recovery hasn't been as great lately (just not sleeping as well, more tired in general, but lifts still progressing fine).

On another note, I'm worried I backed off 10 lbs jumps too early on my deadlift and went to 5 lbs. My deadlift is only 20lbs heavier than my squat right now. Should that factor into the decision at all?

Should I keep pushing the squat heavy 3x a week, or backoff to Heavy on M & F and ~80% on W?

Thanks in advance!

You didn't start by doing the actual program, which does not start with the empty bar. This has created the SQ/DL discrepancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You didn't start by doing the actual program, which does not start with the empty bar. This has created the SQ/DL discrepancy.
    You are correct. I should clarify, I started "lifting on my own program" with the bar, and after a month of messing around actually started the program. In reality, I when I officially started the SS program, I was squatting 145 and DL 195.

Next time you deadlift go to 355 x 5 and see what happens.

Will do. Appreciate the input - will update Monday.

starting strength coach development program
    Make that 345, and then the following workout go to 355.