starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on your advice “Nobody can get big and strong on 2500 calories”

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by aweight View Post
    can I stay around 150 lbs?... I don’t mind getting bigger but am not looking necessarily to get big...
    So you don't want to be too big. I'm 6'1" and 225 and I haven't even filled out my frame yet. You have a lot of room to grow.

And what's wrong with being bigger? You'll be a stronger more powerful human being, less likely to get hurt.

Why choose 150 lbs as a goal? Why not 160, or 180, or 195?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Le Comte View Post
    It would be easier to hit your goals by getting to 200lb with a 400lb deadlift and 300lb squat. Believe it or not, those are not even particularly large numbers. Trying to increase strength (and therefore muscle) without increasing weight (i.e. losing fat at the same time) is really tough, especially at 40.

A Clarification | Mark Rippetoe

Aim to do the full program and get to around 200lb, 400 dead, 300 squat. Then decide if you want to cut (a little) or get stronger still.
    What is special about the 200 lb number? Why not get to the desired goal of 2x/1.5x at say 150, 160, or 170 lbs for example?

What is special about the 200 lb number? Why not get to the desired goal of 2x/1.5x at say 150, 160, or 170 lbs for example?
    Because you can't do this at 6'1". But you deal with this any way you want to. It's your ass, not mine.

Again, you are obsessed with numbers and your weak abs. Not a healthy habit.
    200lbs is not just a number, it's 50 more pounds of mass. Simply mechanically speaking that's an advantage. And in order to produce more force over a long time you NEED to gain muscle, which is also mass. So physiologically speaking it is also much much different to have dozens of pounds of muscle mass more than you have now.
    If this was as simple as setting goals and reaching them in whatever way we desired, everyone would be right and we would all be jacked and lean and strong no matter our shape or training methods. But as Rip said, there is no way to reach certain goals if you are 150lbs and 6"1'. And your goals seem driven by some kind of obsession with numbers instead of the desire to get stronger.

I think our friend has an eating disorder. At any rate, he's posting on the wrong board. Best to leave it alone.

Dude, respectfully, Mark has a bunch of podcasts and articles out there that adress your question. Why not do a bit of basic research before posting on the forums? A lot of time could be saved, and you’d actually learn something.

I think we have someone who doesn't want to buy new jeans. Go buy some Walmart sweatpants, and start eating. I was a skinny shit when I was young, and it has always been hard to overcome the attitude of being the skinny guy. Learn how to eat, and forget about staying at 150.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    Dude, respectfully, Mark has a bunch of podcasts and articles out there that adress your question. Why not do a bit of basic research before posting on the forums? A lot of time could be saved, and you’d actually learn something.
    He's only six months in. A lot of people need time before they realize that getting strong and big requires the sacrifice of their previous beliefs about training and nutrition, and still look for some kind of approval for their methods. It's up to him I guess

Ants can carry 10-50x their own bodyweight. Undeveloped human children can easily step on and kill them. Food for thought.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Because you can't do this at 6'1". But you deal with this any way you want to. It's your ass, not mine.
    It would help if you can articulate what is the minimum weight at which a 6’1” person can reasonably expect to be able to be able to just lift 2x/1.5x or, more generally, the height/weight relationship and justify why.

Never said 150 was a constraint and actually said otherwise more than once.

I don’t have an eating disorder, not according to my doctors or nutritionist.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast