starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dear RIP. i`m korean starting strength trainer

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Fioravanti View Post
    Don’t know. Haven’t learned anything about that yet. I’ve heard of BCAAs. Want to share?
    I only have experience with maltodextrins. I just threw essential amminoacids in there, it could be an easy way to get them if someone has problems with their diet. But it could be minerals and vitamins too, especially during the summer.
    In my experience having 30-50gr of maltodextrins in 1.5lt of water is helpful in maintaining energy levels. But I don't see it as essential. If you have a big enough meal before training and a good cup of black coffee, and take creatine regularly, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I only have experience with maltodextrins. I just threw essential amminoacids in there, it could be an easy way to get them if someone has problems with their diet. But it could be minerals and vitamins too, especially during the summer.
    In my experience having 30-50gr of maltodextrins in 1.5lt of water is helpful in maintaining energy levels. But I don't see it as essential. If you have a big enough meal before training and a good cup of black coffee, and take creatine regularly, you should be fine.
    So I looked up maltodextrins on Wikipedia. You use them as an easy way to get glucose into your body before a workout?

I might have to start training early mornings, so something like that may work well for me. A little concerned that it’s processed and derived from vegetable starch.

I drink black coffee and have a serving of creatine just about daily. Use Ultima mineral/electrolyte supplement often too.

A little concerned that it’s processed and derived from vegetable starch.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Why?
    General rule of thumb is processed = unhealthy. Obviously, imperfect rule.

And to my knowledge, things derived from vegetables, corn, and seeds can be quite bad for you. E.g., vegetable oil, seed oils, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

But maybe veg starch is fine. Idk. Never checked it out.

And to my knowledge, things derived from vegetables, corn, and seeds can be quite bad for you. E.g., vegetable oil, seed oils, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

I mean,to me it's just easy carbs. I don't take them now though. I feel like it's useful for someone who has to eat like 400-500g of carbs a day, and the energy is just a plus. Most of your energy still comes from consistent nutrition.
    If you eat 2000kcal a day and are trying to do the Texas Method, you won't have enough energy in your workout no matter what you drink.

Without getting into the weeds of whether "processed" is unhealthy, I don't think you're going to find an effective workout drink (i.e. one that's easily digestible and quickly bioavailable) that's not derived from vegetable/grain starches, and that hasn't been highly processed.

Santana wrote a great article about carbohydrates, you should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by francesco.decaro View Post
    I mean,to me it's just easy carbs. I don't take them now though. I feel like it's useful for someone who has to eat like 400-500g of carbs a day, and the energy is just a plus. Most of your energy still comes from consistent nutrition.
    If you eat 2000kcal a day and are trying to do the Texas Method, you won't have enough energy in your workout no matter what you drink.
    I understand; easy carbs are certainly useful. 400-500 grams is a lot; demands a tradeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Without getting into the weeds of whether "processed" is unhealthy, I don't think you're going to find an effective workout drink (i.e. one that's easily digestible and quickly bioavailable) that's not derived from vegetable/grain starches, and that hasn't been highly processed.

Santana wrote a great article about carbohydrates, you should check it out.
    Depends on what's "effective" but that's a good point. I will. Is this it - Carbohydrates and Barbell Training?

This is getting way off topic, but it's too late to turn back now.

Joe DeFranco had a recipe for meathead Gatorade that I like: a couple tablespoons of lemon juice, a pinch of salt, a packet of sweetener (I use that Stevia crap), and a quart of water. Cheap and works great.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bbuszard View Post
    This is getting way off topic, but it's too late to turn back now.

Joe DeFranco had a recipe for meathead Gatorade that I like: a couple tablespoons of lemon juice, a pinch of salt, a packet of sweetener (I use that Stevia crap), and a quart of water. Cheap and works great.
    This has been a part of my diet for years now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123