starting strength gym

Thread: Whole beef prices

Default Whole beef prices

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been looking locally to buy a whole beef and the prices at that scale seem to be consistently about $9/lb (packaged). I had heard that $5-7/lb was more typical. What are you seeing in the market and do you think I'm just noticing inflation and all of the prices I heard are just outdated?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I just put 2 beef in my freezer for $5.63/pound cut and wrapped, looks to be High Choice. This is a local market phenomenon, and the problem is probably aren't dealing with the actual producer of the beef but a middleman that has marked it up. I'd recommend buying whole beef from a guy who can show you the steer standing on the ground looking at you. This may not be possible depending on where you are, but it will be more expensive.

Out here in Eastern Washington, we buy directly from the rancher. Current whole price is $7.50/lb, packaged. Half beef price is $8.05/lb, packaged.

But they've also given us the warning that they will be balancing their books this week and to expect a price change soon. Unfortunately, we can't take advantage, as we took delivery of a half cow a few months ago and it's just the two of us.

We watch the herds from afar, as they have quite a social media presence (the ranchers and the cows). The cows are moved seasonally to keep in warmer climes during the winter, eating whatever they can find on the southern ranch.

The economics of my deer and elk hunting addiction is looking better than ever.

I'll have to vet a little more carefully then. Thanks for steering me in the right direction, Rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    We watch the herds from afar, as they have quite a social media presence
    I don't know that I would want to eat a cow that could access social media.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Why bother looking. Soon we’ll all be eating bugs, and cattle will be extinct. It’ll be worth it to save us from global warming.