starting strength gym

Thread: OH&S idea referenced in Strong Enough?

Default OH&S idea referenced in Strong Enough?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rip,

I'm reading through Strong Enough? at the moment and there's a half paragraph in the deadlift chapter where you reference the million dollar idea that you and Carla had teaching the deadlift to workers that never got off the ground.

I assume that was a long process of taking a good idea to various bureaucrats but failing due to the refusal to want to shift from a "blame workers for not following guidelines on what not to do" model to a "teach workers and assume some responsibility and blame for workers not being fit for task" model.

I've never heard or seen you make reference to anything around Workers Compensation/injuries or OSHA. It would seem that it would be fertile ground for another example of conventional wisdom in a field being completely backwards. Is there a story to tell beyond what was written in the half paragraph or was the above summary pretty much it?

It boiled down to the fact that there was too much liability and not enough money. Just one more bad idea I've had.

We convinced our corporate folks to allow us to build a gym with a squat rack. Initially, we were not allowed to do deadlifts, as they were deemed too dangerous. However, one of our senior management staff is a powerlifter, or was at some time, and somehow or another got approval for it. I wouldn’t say many people do it, but I’ve begun to gather a few hours a week coaching the lifts to various people because of it. No one has left their spine on the ceiling, so I think it’s pretty safe. I’d like to present data eventually showing a reduction in injuries but I need a lot more folks to deadlift. I do work a physical job and there does seem to be a basic understanding from management that stronger people are less injury prone, but it’s very, very basic.

That’s a very under rated book. Some hilarious stories in there along with great info about the lifts. It should get more love on the forums.