starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    I hate this. People do it constantly here. What's worse is when they're on it while moving. I'm pretty liberal with the horn when I notice this kind of thing.
    So am I, but some of them are so bad they will do it repeatedly at successive traffic lights.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Yeah, but the traffic is one of the things I'm trying to escape, as is the terrible driving. Couple years ago I got rear ended by an illegal immigrant with no license. Cop gave him a not-even-stern warning "you can't drive away in this car without a license". Guy drove away right after the cop left. Seems every time I'm out to drive now I encounter at least one person on a phone who isn't paying attention. Usually they hang out stopped after lights turn green.
    Sounds just like Florida, which makes sense since half of New York has relocated here it seems. The driving here is absolutely atrocious in every aspect. People drive like they have no regard for anyone else, which they don't. It's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Sounds just like Florida, which makes sense since half of New York has relocated here it seems. The driving here is absolutely atrocious in every aspect. People drive like they have no regard for anyone else, which they don't. It's horrible.
    Yeah, that sounds like New York driving alright. We were thinking about Florida since we both have family there as another place to look at, but it's looking like way too many people have moved there in recent years and the real estate supply is not expanding enough to match. Trying to pick out somewhere to go is not at all easy. Now we have to not only look for job opportunities in locations, look at cost of living, but also take the political temperature of the place too. I also would prefer to find a nearby enough SS Gym or affiliate presence, but that may have to be a lower priority. But we've known for some time this place isn't gonna work. Opportunity is low and cost of living is high.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Yeah, that sounds like New York driving alright. We were thinking about Florida since we both have family there as another place to look at, but it's looking like way too many people have moved there in recent years and the real estate supply is not expanding enough to match. Trying to pick out somewhere to go is not at all easy. Now we have to not only look for job opportunities in locations, look at cost of living, but also take the political temperature of the place too. I also would prefer to find a nearby enough SS Gym or affiliate presence, but that may have to be a lower priority. But we've known for some time this place isn't gonna work. Opportunity is low and cost of living is high.
    Never been but from what I understand the cost of living in NY is astronomical. I don't know how people afford it unless they have very lucrative jobs. I couldn't even afford a decent sized cardboard box in an alley in that place.

Florida has it's problems for sure. We do have Gov. Ron (IDGAF what other states are doing) Desantis though. He reminds me of Trump in that people either love or hate him. Not much middle ground.

J.D. Shipley is offline Owner, Starting Strength Houston

If you're looking for a better quality of life BUT don't want bad traffic, then a city or even a suburb of a big city is not the place for you. If your employment situation allows it, find a small farming town somewhere in the Midwest - aka flyover state.

Never been but from what I understand the cost of living in NY is astronomical. I don't know how people afford it unless they have very lucrative jobs. I couldn't even afford a decent sized cardboard box in an alley in that place.
    On Long Island, 1500 a month gets you a shitty, not-up-to-code illegal apartment someone carved out of their home that is barely fit for one occupant. To get an actually-up-to-code version of that same sized apartment, you're looking at 2000+. Not a single person I have known that lives on this island that is my age (37) or younger has ever owned a home. Keep in mind, the state income tax also bites almost as deep into your paychecks as the federal one does. It used to be better here, but the population is way too high.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. Shipley View Post
    If you're looking for a better quality of life BUT don't want bad traffic, then a city or even a suburb of a big city is not the place for you. If your employment situation allows it, find a small farming town somewhere in the Midwest - aka flyover state.
    I wish. if I just had a crapload of money I'd throw it into sure thing type investments that only large sums of money make available, and then live quietly in a place like that.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't know how people afford it unless they have very lucrative jobs.
    Several years ago, when I still lived there, I asked the same question about London.
    If you had a normal job, your choice seemed to be either a grotty flat in an iffy area south of the Thames, or an hour-plus commute from a place like Neasden or Queensbury.
    I don't think the situation has improved much since.

IPB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12