starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I revisited my CT Screen and...

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    "They usually cause no symptoms except when ruptured." Fucking great. And then youre fucked. Nice. I see they are blaming elevated LDL for this shit, also. Sounds like bullshit.

Evidently syphillis is a risk factor, too. So I've got that going for me.

Elevated LDL is bullshit. It is usually congenital. Has anyone in your family died of an aneurysm? You would know this unless you're adopted.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Could someone please explain the significance of this condition (what it is, what causes it, why is it so serious, why is lifting implicated at all, etc.) to those of us without medical backgrounds or familiarity with the condition, but who own a heart, and are therefore interested in understanding more?

Thanks
    It's like finding an old landmine under your front door mat and wondering if it's a dud or if you've just never stepped on it.

I agree with everything Mark and Dr. Sullivan have said. However, there may be a light at the end of this dark tunnel. I’m no vascular surgeon but 4.2 cm may not be quite large enough to operate on. There are a number of different procedures possible to correct this ranging from quite invasive i.e. an endolumenal approach to extraordinarily invasive ie. balls-to-the-walls major surgery with a synthetic graft to replace the aneurysm.

You need a consultation with a vascular surgeon, preferably not someone who went to Dr. Nick Riviera’s medical school. IF you’re a candidate for a procedure and the REST of your aorta looks good, such a procedure may make it significantly more safe for you to lift if that’s your goal in life. The laws of physics (read up on Laplace’s law) don’t bode well for large ballooning aneurysms of the aorta. They’re likely to burst as they expand and you’ll end up in Dr Sullivan’s ER before probably dying. If Laplace’s law has no big balloon to work its ugly magic on because of one of the above-mentioned procedures, then the likelihood of such a catastrophic rupture should be much less likely. After all, that’s the rational behind such procedures.

This is purely opinion on my part and it would assume significant time had passed for any suture lines to have fully healed before working out again. It would also assume healthy aorta elsewhere. What you’re going to need is a very frank discussion with an expert on vascular repairs. You’d probably want one who’s associated with a major medical center and who’s done LOTS of these kinds of things.

I would welcome any countering viewpoints on what I’ve just said because I’m writing WAY outside my comfort level!

God be with you Taters!

Am I right I’m thinking that 4.2cm at your age is not considered an aneurysm? It certainly doesn’t reach criteria for treatment. I think a further scan is mandatory. Have you been screened for an abdominal aneurysm?

I wasn't going to voice my opinion, and I am no doctor, scholar, and have no business here,
    but,
    2 and a 1/2, 3 years later, whilst training the time being, OP realizes there is / was a anyurism,
    isn't this kinda after the fact? and I would keep training?
    or am I way out of the lane ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    Am I right I’m thinking that 4.2cm at your age is not considered an aneurysm? It certainly doesn’t reach criteria for treatment. I think a further scan is mandatory. Have you been screened for an abdominal aneurysm?
    Usually vascular surgeons don’t want to operate on an aneurysm until it reaches 5.5 cm. Presumably, this magic number arose because the risks of surgery exceed the risk of rupture until it gets that big. I assume that this number evolved from a couple of small, probably poorly executed studies that were cobbled together in the form of a meta-analysis.

I have no doubt that there are additional factors that would move a surgeon to lower or raise that threshold in individual cases.

This is why Taters needs to find a qualified surgeon with a LOT of real world experience. Ultimately he’s going to have to determine his plan of care for himself, hopefully with a good consultant to help guide him.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Usually vascular surgeons don’t want to operate on an aneurysm until it reaches 5.5 cm. Presumably, this magic number arose because the risks of surgery exceed the risk of rupture until it gets that big. I assume that this number evolved from a couple of small, probably poorly executed studies that were cobbled together in the form of a meta-analysis.

I have no doubt that there are additional factors that would move a surgeon to lower or raise that threshold in individual cases.

This is why Taters needs to find a qualified surgeon with a LOT of real world experience. Ultimately he’s going to have to determine his plan of care for himself, hopefully with a good consultant to help guide him.
    Maybe it sounds pithy, and not at all my place to say it, but I earnestly appreciate that you hold this view and are willing to share it. So, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    My brother had to pause his SS program when he learned of his. I’m not sure what his numbers were or how they changed, but two years later he’s back to the program.
    How old is your brother? Did he have surgery and, if so, what kind? Is he back to HARD lifting now?

Thanks for stoppin' by, Smyth.

starting strength coach development program
    All, thanks for commenting. I'll periodically update my little "journey" since others might find it useful. I didn't expect this much attention.

I emailed my GP requesting another scan; he asked that I come in and talk first. I see him on Sep 13.

Yes, if there is any way possible, I would like to get back to lifting even if I have to seriously drop the weight and never again add weight. My last workout was last Friday (today is Thursday) and I started walking on Monday. At the risk of being glib, it appears my choices will be the potential of having my aorta explode or becoming frail. I cannot stand the thought of becoming frail, but I do take the risk tradeoff seriously.

I don't know if I also have an abdominal aneurysm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast