starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I revisited my CT Screen and...

Default I revisited my CT Screen and...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 71 and have been SS training since 2014.

I had a CT Heart Screen w/o contrast in Jan 2019. At the time my doc said he would give me a "C" on the results; the cardiologist gave me a "B+." I didn't give it a second thought and continued hard training.

Today, about 3-1/2 yrs later, for the fun of it, I took another look at the results and found this...

"Aneurysmal ascending aorta with moderate tortuosity descending aorta"

"Ascending aorta is dilated up to 4.2 cm across, the descending aorta is more tortuous than usual"

Based on my search of the SS Forum, it appears that I immediately need to 1) stop lifting, and 2) find a good cardiologist, hopefully one that lifts.

If so, can I at least go for walks?

Thanks for reading.

How much has the dilation increased?

Good point. I don't know and I understand the importance of that. I reckon I'll see about scheduling another scan.

Thanks.

The reason you see these dire posts on the forum is because (a) the consequences of aneursymal progression/rupture of the aorta are spectacularly catastrophic (I've seen these monsters in action many times) and (b) we don't know the natural history of these lesions under loading, especially because they occupy a range of etiologies and phenotypes.

If you came to me as a client I would not train you without either a very explicit physician endorsement (which I wouldn't get for the training we do) or a very carefully crafted waiver.

Now, here's the thing: You're 71 and you've been lifting with this thing in your chest for years. Because of (b) above, we don't know how much risk you've been assuming during that time. Presumably you've been lifting for good reasons and you have reaped the benefits. When you find a doctor, he will give you some version of what I've just said above, somewhere between "O God You Have To Stop and Sit Down This Instant!" and "There's some unknown degree of risk (duh)."

NO doctor will tell you it's a-okay to lift with this thing. The best doctor will evaluate progression, as Rip correctly pointed out, and with that information in hand engage with you in an exercise of shared decision-making, balancing risk of catastrophic deterioration against benefit of training, and also a balancing of your own ineffable personal values, examined in the clear light and unblinking realization that eventually we all Git Got.

It's not up to us, it's not up to your doctor, and it's not up to your aneurysm. It's up to you. Freedom is a big thing in this community, although I often think it's gravely misapprehended. But here is a situation where you are absolutely at liberty to choose, and the choice will be uniquely yours.

Sorry to go off like this. I've thought about this kind of thing a lot lately. Bests, Taters.

Sully is right, and I wouldn't let you train in my gym under your current circumstances. A good friend of mine died in 07 after an attempted repair of this thing, and even though there were circumstances he created that caused the problem, it's a sore spot with me too. Get it measured immediately, and then decide what you're going to do. Then get it measured again in 6 months.

Sully/Rip

Thanks for your responses and insight. I will contact doc tomorrow.

My brother had to pause his SS program when he learned of his. I’m not sure what his numbers were or how they changed, but two years later he’s back to the program.

There's definitely a few things you can do: have some good meals with family and friends, listen to some great music, and enjoy some beautiful sights. All of us do git got, and rather than worrying about the end... embrace living the time you have left with the perspective you've just received.

Best of luck, sir. I hope all is well with you and yours.

Could someone please explain the significance of this condition (what it is, what causes it, why is it so serious, why is lifting implicated at all, etc.) to those of us without medical backgrounds or familiarity with the condition, but who own a heart, and are therefore interested in understanding more?

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast