starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting with hip replacements

Default Squatting with hip replacements

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Mark, I’m a healthy 62 year old woman, 125 lbs., 5’6” and have been doing SS for 6 months. I’ve gained 15 lbs. since starting, trying to help my lifting. I have slowly progressed my bench and DL but my squat is a problem. I’ve changed to a box squat because of knee issues but would really like to do a traditional squat but my knees move forward excessively throughout the lift. I have both right and left hip replacements and wonder if this may have anything to do with my squat issue. I’ve read your book and watched videos but can’t get the form. Do you have any other cues to suggest? Many thanks!

You're going to have to get some coaching, in person. Where are you?

Quote Originally Posted by wannabestrong View Post
    Hi Mark, I’m a healthy 62 year old woman, 125 lbs., 5’6” and have been doing SS for 6 months. I’ve gained 15 lbs. since starting, trying to help my lifting. I have slowly progressed my bench and DL but my squat is a problem. I’ve changed to a box squat because of knee issues but would really like to do a traditional squat but my knees move forward excessively throughout the lift. I have both right and left hip replacements and wonder if this may have anything to do with my squat issue. I’ve read your book and watched videos but can’t get the form. Do you have any other cues to suggest? Many thanks!
    Coach Rippetoe is correct. Get coaching. The remote coaching is great. I have a replaced hip and I squat to depth, although not nearly as strong as the people on this forum. One cue I picked up, which some might think is crude but worked for me: shove your nuts back over your heels (in your case another piece of anatomy) - shoving my hips back cue did not work, but this one worked for me.

Remote coaching is not great, especially in this case. My recommendation is that you get a coach to actually coach you through the squat.

Thank you Mark. I have already tried online coaching and it wasn’t quite enough to get me squatting properly. I’m in Greenwich CT. Do you know of a great coach in my area?

Thanks for your help. I have used online coaching and it has been great for my other lifts but not quite enough for the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabestrong View Post
    Thank you Mark. I have already tried online coaching and it wasn’t quite enough to get me squatting properly. I’m in Greenwich CT. Do you know of a great coach in my area?
    Annino Strength & Conditioning – Starting Strength Coaching Directory

Thanks so much!!

starting strength coach development program
    Rip do you take article or topic requests? Training with/around joint replacements seems like an interesting topic. Considering the point of them is to replace the normal joint, but obviously there are major changes to the anatomy, which also depends on surgical technique. Are there any hard and fast rules around training with various joint replacements or is it all purely individual circumstances?