starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do power lifters and body builders on steroids occasionally…

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdcuth View Post
    So can I ask something - and please excuse my novice level of knowledge. If someone is a competitive powerlifter do they use a monolift for all their training reps (at least the work sets)? And if so, does the lack of a walkout element increase risk by allowing heavier weights to be used?
    It definitely increases the risk from what I can tell. If you can't walk the thing two steps, you probably have no business riding that thing down to depth (not like they squat to depth anyways). You're either not strong enough or are using way too much supportive gear (multiply squat suits, knee wraps, etc.)

As a fan of powerlifting, I've seen countless more mishaps out of a monolift than a combo rack. Anecdotally.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Thomas View Post
    Powerlifting has become comical to me - And Just Like That, She Folded In Half - YouTube
    I guess the IPF is going to, or is at least strongly considering, some kind of rule change to eliminate this kind of ridiculousness. I don't know how but hopefully something can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    As a fan of powerlifting, I've seen countless more mishaps out of a monolift than a combo rack. Anecdotally.
    I think geared powerlifting is probably a HUGE risk factor for injury, way more than steroids ever could be.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    I guess the IPF is going to, or is at least strongly considering, some kind of rule change to eliminate this kind of ridiculousness. I don't know how but hopefully something can be done.
    That bench was awfully short. But it's not *much* shorter than you see at the highest levels within IPF. The last time I watched the IPF worlds (its still on YouTube), I didn't see a single bencher whose elbows ever dropped below the pad.

Also to note, even in the highest weight classes, the women in IPF have the prettiest legs for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    It definitely increases the risk from what I can tell. If you can't walk the thing two steps, you probably have no business riding that thing down to depth (not like they squat to depth anyways). You're either not strong enough or are using way too much supportive gear (multiply squat suits, knee wraps, etc.)

I have neve watched equipped powerlift and know absolutely zero. However, there are competitive lifters who walk out 20% more than their 1RM as part of their training. (Whether that's a good idea or not is a different discussion). You get about 10% more out of a monolift, so any reasonable load that one is lifting from a monolift is a load that one could certainly walk out and put back (but not necessarily walk out, squat, and put back).

I have never even seen a real-life monolift and have only ever lifted from a squat rack or power rack. Hence why I find the topic interesting.

Quick update to my last post about the IPF and bench press range of motion. Just saw that the new IPF rule for benching is that lifters can not put their feet on the bench to set up and the main one, "the underside of both elbows joints is lowered level with or below the top surface of each respective shoulder joint."

Let's see how that goes.

Such fools. They have created another judging problem. The answer is very simple: How to Fix Powerlifting? | Mark Rippetoe

Quote Originally Posted by EdTice View Post
    I have neve watched equipped powerlift and know absolutely zero. However, there are competitive lifters who walk out 20% more than their 1RM as part of their training. (Whether that's a good idea or not is a different discussion). You get about 10% more out of a monolift, so any reasonable load that one is lifting from a monolift is a load that one could certainly walk out and put back (but not necessarily walk out, squat, and put back).
    Clearly the monolift eliminates a very difficult and fatiguing part of the lift, amplified by use of knee wraps and squat suits. That's where the increase is from. Having to walk the weight out ensures the lifter can actually control the thing and limits the lifter from handling loads that they probably shouldn't be calling for.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Quick update to my last post about the IPF and bench press range of motion. Just saw that the new IPF rule for benching is that lifters can not put their feet on the bench to set up and the main one, "the underside of both elbows joints is lowered level with or below the top surface of each respective shoulder joint."

Let's see how that goes.
    Now the head judge has to give the press command and look for elbow "depth." Lots of 3-5 second pauses incoming. What a clown show.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Such fools. They have created another judging problem. The answer is very simple: How to Fix Powerlifting? | Mark Rippetoe
    Even I can judge whether the elbows are below the top of the pad while the barbell is at a standstill for three seconds waiting for the press command!

starting strength coach development program
    So if you want to watch elite squatting of the kind that people on these forum consider correct, what should you watch? Obviously the SS strength lifting meetings but is there anywhere else?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast