starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Testosterone results + cholesterol warning from doc

Default Testosterone results + cholesterol warning from doc

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    46yo, did my annual bloodwork and my total test came back at 267 ng/dl. It was 503 in 2019, and 353 in 2021 so an obvious downward trend. For those keeping track, the healthy range was listed as 200-800ng/dl (soon that will probably be reduced to 100-700 ng/dl). I think I'll be talking to Wittmer soon.

The doc noted that all my results were normal except for cholesterol which he wants to discuss with me at my next in-person visit. My total cholesterol was 235, HDL 44, and LDL was 169. Probably those evil four whole eggs I eat every day.

What are your thoughts on the cholesterol numbers? Do you think I'm going to get my first statin pitch? Might just skip the in-person visit to be honest. This is the same doc who thought I was crazy for not getting the jab. Meanwhile, I never got covid (that I know of) and trained all the way through it.

Bob, no shit, get a better doctor. This is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Bob, no shit, get a better doctor. This is ridiculous.
    This is my second doctor in two years and he was supposed to be the good one. It's hard to find a decent doctor anymore. They're all so damn goofy. The search continues. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Railbob1776 View Post
    46yo, did my annual bloodwork and my total test came back at 267 ng/dl. It was 503 in 2019, and 353 in 2021 so an obvious downward trend. For those keeping track, the healthy range was listed as 200-800ng/dl (soon that will probably be reduced to 100-700 ng/dl). I think I'll be talking to Wittmer soon.

The doc noted that all my results were normal except for cholesterol which he wants to discuss with me at my next in-person visit. My total cholesterol was 235, HDL 44, and LDL was 169. Probably those evil four whole eggs I eat every day.

What are your thoughts on the cholesterol numbers? Do you think I'm going to get my first statin pitch? Might just skip the in-person visit to be honest. This is the same doc who thought I was crazy for not getting the jab. Meanwhile, I never got covid (that I know of) and trained all the way through it.
    This is almost the exact same thing that happened to me a couple years ago. Went in concerned about testosterone, was told `200 ng/dl or so was "healthy", but was told I needed to go on statins immediately because my ldl was high. Triglycerides were low. I was also cutting weight pretty aggressively at the time. I later found out prolonged weight cuts transiently raise your ldl. I also learned that based on my risk profile only high doses of statins had even a 1% risk improvement. I have no faith in GPs to treat anything. They are medicine vendors for big pharma. Sorry if there are any of the good ones reading this, but your profession is tainted as fuck.

This is my second doctor in two years and he was supposed to be the good one. It's hard to find a decent doctor anymore. They're all so damn goofy. The search continues. . . .
    You know who is a good Dr.? Dr. Wittmer is who. If you are only going to the hack for your annual blood tests, you will get more frequent and more thorough through Dr. Wittmer. You see the writing on the wall. You know what to do.

But back to your question, and I will answer with one: has your cholesterol gone up as your testosterone went down? My bet it has. More writing on the wall.

Why are you even going to a doctor, at this point? Seriously.

The medical establishment "monitoring" of the health of the American public's "chronic condishuns" through annual checkups and recommendations (let's start with "heart healthy whole grains" and end with statins) is a complete epic fucking fail. If you're a fat, weak piece of shit living off bagels, McDonalds and SnackWell cookies, you know what to do. If you're shot in the gut while visiting the father of your wife's son, well then, hell yeah, go to the doctor. But otherwise.......sheeeeit.....why fucking bother? So he can sell you pills marketed to him by a former SEC cheerleader? So he can parrot what he heard on CBS from Diane Sawyer and Dr. Fagchi about nutrition and health? Fuck them all, right in the ear.

By the way, 4 eggs a day is a poor start to the day for a grown ass man who presumably is lifting heavy iron at least three times per week. You realize that's only 24 grams of protein, right? Perfectly adequate for the breakfast of an 8 year old gymnast but piss poor for you. Unless you're cracking them over a grilled ribeye. I dont bother cooking eggs unless its 9 eggs, which is 54 grams of protein.

For cholesterol, you need to request a panel that includes the ApoB numbers. It's the only metric that captures the total risk.

WRT eggs, dietary cholesterol doesn't matter much but saturated fats do, more so for some genotypes.

Quote Originally Posted by JDelage View Post
    WRT eggs, dietary cholesterol doesn't matter much but saturated fats do, more so for some genotypes.
    Tell us more!

It's been my experience that people who recommend doctors are people who have no idea about anything concerning their own health and believe whatever the doctor says. If the doc and staff are friendly and *sounds* like he/she knows things, he/she is a "good" doctor.

starting strength coach development program
    I guess you need to get checked for prostate cancer and the like. My doc doesn’t push any meds on me, ever, but he wasn’t interested in my concerns about testosterone optimization. At 640 I’m a “rockstar.” But what if I’d feel even better at 1000 or 1200? Crazy talk. I talked to Jeff Wittmer today.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast