starting strength gym

Thread: Lifting and systemic inflammation

Default Lifting and systemic inflammation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Physical activity paradox: could inflammation be a key factor? - PubMed

This study seems to suggest lifting lots of weight at work raises systemic inflammation, but lifting in leisure time reduces it.

My takeaway is that lifting (which by their definition is always leisure time activity) reduces systemic inflammation, period. If you don’t lift, then having to lift shit at work every day is going to fuck you up over time.

Am I looking at this right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, turn off your Tapatalk sig.

Second, this is just another shitty paper written by people who are unable to analyze their data due to a lack of experience and information. There are several major problems, which we will discuss as a group.

Behind a paywall, but a quick look at the abstract tells you what you need to know. This is not science. This is not an experiment. This is a poorly conducted survey with slipshod statistical analysis. Exercise and lifestyle factor data depended on patient recall, a notoriously inaccurate approach which has irretrievably corrupted much exercise and health science and virtually the entire corpus of nutritional research, and the dependent outcome variable - hsCRP - is a crude, cheap, unrevealing and clinically irrelevant metric. Ask yourself: do you really give a shit what your hs-CRP is? In 25 years of emergency practice, I never ordered it once except upon the insistence of a neurologist, cardiologist, or orthopod, none of whom, ever, in over two decades, appeared to me to make a clinical decision based on the resultant value.

This little POS paper might be a hypothesis-generator for some kid working on his ExFizz degree before he goes on to manage a Taco Bell in Poughkeepsie, but for us it is a complete waste of time. We should bail now.