starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on MX-5?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have a 91' First gen or NA, with the little 1.6L and 5 speed. SO it was pretty cheap. I daily drove it 34miles (1 way) to work for a year or 2. Then when that got boring I bought an old (81) diesel Merc. Took the poor little Mazda and stripped everything that didn't make it handle or run better. They make a good toy. People like to call them "cars for hairdressers", But those people take shit too serious.

I ever get off my ass and finish the new fuel management and turbo for mine, I want to try autocross. I've had the parts for 3 years, but right now I'm tinkering on an old 62 Falcon... nothing nice, but I'll enjoy driving it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I really need to go to a driving school. Any recommendations?
    What are your goals?

Quote Originally Posted by LBass View Post
    I have a 91' First gen or NA, with the little 1.6L and 5 speed. SO it was pretty cheap. I daily drove it 34miles (1 way) to work for a year or 2. Then when that got boring I bought an old (81) diesel Merc. Took the poor little Mazda and stripped everything that didn't make it handle or run better. They make a good toy. People like to call them "cars for hairdressers", But those people take shit too serious.

I ever get off my ass and finish the new fuel management and turbo for mine, I want to try autocross. I've had the parts for 3 years, but right now I'm tinkering on an old 62 Falcon... nothing nice, but I'll enjoy driving it around.
    I had '19 VW convertible on my list briefly. I almost went with it, but I realized it was a diesel. 3 years ago, it would have been a desirable feature. I had a full ton super duty from about 2014-2017. But then diesel went through the roof and it wasn't worth the cost anymore, so I traded down to a gas 1/2 ton. I did some math with the Beetle and it wasn't going to save us money on fuel.

Don't really need a pickup in Florida, so I went the opposite way. We can haul pretty much anything we need in the Sorento. The MX-5 needs 93, but after more math, it's cheaper to drive than the Sorento is with 87.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    What are your goals?
    To keep from getting killed in this 635HP M6.

This is not a racing school, it's a different sort of thing.

Joe Autera, Vehicle Dynamics Institute. Vehicle Dynamics Institute - Advanced Driver Training - Vehicle Dynamics Institute

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I really need to go to a driving school. Any recommendations?
    If you're willing to drive an automatic, BMW M School is great. I did a two day course and a one day course out near Palm Springs. Looks like they do Indianapolis too: BMW M Driving School | Advanced Driving Performance School
    You get to drive M cars as hard as you want all weekend. I broke an M2 (the most fun of the group) and no one was upset with me - just part of the experience. Although maybe a BMW breaking isn't a novel occurrence.

They do spin out recovery training on wet parts of the track, slalom, high speed track, emergency braking - it might be the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Porsche driving school is worthwhile, although Porsche's have an odd amount of understeer so it won't be directly applicable to your M6 but still a great way to improve control and precision. Maybe you'll enjoy it so much you'll keep the Porsche and sell the BMW. That M6 is terrifying. Porsche schools are in Alabama and Atlanta since California isn't an option: Home | Porsche Driving

If you sign up for one, Ben and I will join you. Don't eat before riding as a passenger with one of the instructors, I learned the hard way.

Going to The Driver's Edge school on Oct. 8-9. I intend to drive the M6, since I need to most help with that one, but the piece of shit may not be roadworthy -- you never know. May drive the Porsche, since I know it will actually start and run.

Good choice. While there you should try the tacos at Del Norte in Godley.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    If you're willing to drive an automatic, BMW M School is great. I did a two day course and a one day course out near Palm Springs. Looks like they do Indianapolis too: BMW M Driving School | Advanced Driving Performance School
    You get to drive M cars as hard as you want all weekend. I broke an M2 (the most fun of the group) and no one was upset with me - just part of the experience. Although maybe a BMW breaking isn't a novel occurrence.

They do spin out recovery training on wet parts of the track, slalom, high speed track, emergency braking - it might be the most fun you can have with your pants on.

Porsche driving school is worthwhile, although Porsche's have an odd amount of understeer so it won't be directly applicable to your M6 but still a great way to improve control and precision. Maybe you'll enjoy it so much you'll keep the Porsche and sell the BMW. That M6 is terrifying. Porsche schools are in Alabama and Atlanta since California isn't an option: Home | Porsche Driving

If you sign up for one, Ben and I will join you. Don't eat before riding as a passenger with one of the instructors, I learned the hard way.
    Most fun with your pants on!😂 I remember new hire training for an oil field cementing outfit a bunch of years ago, they put us through a driving course, pretty much auto cross in pickup trucks, and I said that very thing. The only thing that was more fun was track days on a sport bike.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Klemetson View Post
    glorified go-kart only suitable for teenage girls?
    Attachment 8174
    Swap an LS into it and make it a man's car - This guy has fun tracking one - LS Swap V8 Miata Review - Too Much Motor Not Enough Chassis? - YouTube

Actually sounds like a lot of fun as is. I have a Mini Cooper S with the turbo and it is a blast to drive as well, especially through corners. Almost as much fun as my Vette!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast