Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion on MX-5?

Default Opinion on MX-5?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip.

Long time, no chat. I hope all is well.

I was just wondering what your opinion was on the car I ended up choosing recently. Years ago, I remember you had a 3/4 ton diesel and a BMW.

My only requirements were a convertible and a manual transmission. I tried 4 series BMW convertibles, and the Z roadster, but they either weren't manuals or the price wasn't right.

I started searching through other models. I was looking for something small and agile where I could throw the top down and head to the beach or lake. I ended up settling for the smallest of all, a 2018 Mazda MX-5. I barely fit in it, but I love it. It's the most fun I've ever had driving.

I'm just curious about your thoughts on the MX-5. Awesome roadster where fun-factor is the no. 1 priority? Or, glorified go-kart only suitable for teenage girls?

PXL_20220829_203058962.MP.jpg

Hi, Nick. I've never owned a Mazda, never owned a two-seater, and I've never known anybody with an MX-5, so I have no opinion on it. We'll ask the board, and maybe we'll get lucky.

I have a 2002 NB Miata and drive it every day. It's much older than yours and I haven't driven any of the newer models but I can speak on the older ones. My thoughts are exactly as you said, the car is a blast to drive, handles well even with it's stock and worn suspension. My car has the 1.8 with 142 HP so it makes less power than yours but it's also lighter so there is *some* equilizing there but what they lack in brute force they make up for in fun factor. No Miata, or MX-5 as they are now known, will be mistaken for a race car but the light weight, nimbleness amd small size make them an extremely entertaining car to drive and they will surprise many higher HP cars in the right situation, such as an autocross track. I'm not very familiar with the newer engines but the old ones are as durable as you can get. All in all, they are terrific, fun cars and they never stop being fun. You're going to really like it. Even though they will never be a fast car, the old saying holds true here - it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.

It's my favorite toy. A 2016 ND Club with BBS wheels and Brembo brakes. Not a chicks car. It's a drivers car. I went from a Cobra replica to this. Don't miss the Cobra but I do miss the V8 soundtrack.

Ray Gillenwater is offline Administrator, Starting Strength Gyms
    Starting Strength Coach

It's considered to be the best bang for the buck driver's car on the road. Anyone I've met that has one raves about it. An auto-crosser's dream. They look much less effeminate these days. They'll surely become more of a cult-classic over time too. A naturally aspirated, lightweight car with a manual transmission and Japanese reliability? Hard to go wrong.

I've leased three consecutive BMWs, one of which was one of the last manual transmissions they made, a 328 with M-series options that I regret to this day not buying. BMW stopped developing and including manual transmissions for the American market several years ago, primarily due to the lack of demand and inability for them to meet emissions and efficiency guidelines when compared to their 9-speed automatics.

My boss has gone through a string of these, not the MX-5 specifically, but the little Mazda two seaters, used and specifically for the manual. He loves them; runs them into the ground, then picks another, rinse repeat. More like go-karts for adults.

I've got one.

Super fun and I use it for autocross and circuit laps, as well as a daily driver. I also have a hard top for when it gets colder and different sets of wheels/tires depending on weather. If you are getting a ND/mkIV, you probably won't need to do a ton of mods or creature comfort mods like I have. From my experience riding in mine and newer cars, it will be a lot more comfortable in the newer ones. The newer ones are also still really easy to modify though too.

If you do any kind of autocross or time attack on circuits, you will get addicted to getting your times down and developing driving skill. The MX-5 punishes non-optimal breaking and throttle inputs when you are going up against higher horsepower cars, so you will learn quickly and if you ever drive something fast, you will be a beast.

Mine is a 1995 stripped package (no power windows, weight reduction, original wheels were steelies, really flimsy top). But I did a ton of mods: catback exhaust, racing suspension lowered about an inch, Nardi racing steering wheel, roll bar (you need this to go on circuits), modern center console, 15x8 Enkei RPF1s (if you get any MX-5, you will see these are THE wheel for these), size 225 street-legal racing tires. Will put in racing seats and harnesses next.

IMG_4103.jpg
    F70777A2-EF30-433A-9096-7264605F498E.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    I have a 2002 NB Miata and drive it every day. It's much older than yours and I haven't driven any of the newer models but I can speak on the older ones. My thoughts are exactly as you said, the car is a blast to drive, handles well even with it's stock and worn suspension. My car has the 1.8 with 142 HP so it makes less power than yours but it's also lighter so there is *some* equilizing there but what they lack in brute force they make up for in fun factor. No Miata, or MX-5 as they are now known, will be mistaken for a race car but the light weight, nimbleness amd small size make them an extremely entertaining car to drive and they will surprise many higher HP cars in the right situation, such as an autocross track. I'm not very familiar with the newer engines but the old ones are as durable as you can get. All in all, they are terrific, fun cars and they never stop being fun. You're going to really like it. Even though they will never be a fast car, the old saying holds true here - it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than it is to drive a fast car slow.
    Just a week in, I actually like the looser stock suspension. I can feel it in a fast corner and it's a smooth ride everywhere. I don't think I'll be in the market for anything stiffer, at least not right away.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyD View Post
    It's my favorite toy. A 2016 ND Club with BBS wheels and Brembo brakes. Not a chicks car. It's a drivers car. I went from a Cobra replica to this. Don't miss the Cobra but I do miss the V8 soundtrack.
    My ND doesn't have the Brembo/BBS package, but I was fine with that. I can always upgrade the brakes down the road. The 4 cylinder engine was what I was most nervous for, but the second I took it to 5000 rpm, I got over it quickly. I've learned she loves to rev high. Do you have the Recaro seats too?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Gillenwater View Post
    It's considered to be the best bang for the buck driver's car on the road. Anyone I've met that has one raves about it. An auto-crosser's dream. They look much less effeminate these days. They'll surely become more of a cult-classic over time too. A naturally aspirated, lightweight car with a manual transmission and Japanese reliability? Hard to go wrong.
    Reliability and workability were high on my list as well. Super easy to do routine maintenance on.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    I've leased three consecutive BMWs, one of which was one of the last manual transmissions they made, a 328 with M-series options that I regret to this day not buying. BMW stopped developing and including manual transmissions for the American market several years ago, primarily due to the lack of demand and inability for them to meet emissions and efficiency guidelines when compared to their 9-speed automatics.

My boss has gone through a string of these, not the MX-5 specifically, but the little Mazda two seaters, used and specifically for the manual. He loves them; runs them into the ground, then picks another, rinse repeat. More like go-karts for adults.
    Go-kart is how I've been describing it. Stephanie freaked out a little bit when I took a fast turn the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Fraser View Post
    I've got one.

Super fun and I use it for autocross and circuit laps, as well as a daily driver. I also have a hard top for when it gets colder and different sets of wheels/tires depending on weather. If you are getting a ND/mkIV, you probably won't need to do a ton of mods or creature comfort mods like I have. From my experience riding in mine and newer cars, it will be a lot more comfortable in the newer ones. The newer ones are also still really easy to modify though too.

If you do any kind of autocross or time attack on circuits, you will get addicted to getting your times down and developing driving skill. The MX-5 punishes non-optimal breaking and throttle inputs when you are going up against higher horsepower cars, so you will learn quickly and if you ever drive something fast, you will be a beast.

Mine is a 1995 stripped package (no power windows, weight reduction, original wheels were steelies, really flimsy top). But I did a ton of mods: catback exhaust, racing suspension lowered about an inch, Nardi racing steering wheel, roll bar (you need this to go on circuits), modern center console, 15x8 Enkei RPF1s (if you get any MX-5, you will see these are THE wheel for these), size 225 street-legal racing tires. Will put in racing seats and harnesses next.
    I do have the ND, 2018. The only creature comfort I miss is Android Auto, but I could put it in if I want. A new steering wheel could be in the future to give my knees an extra inch. I don't think I'll be on the track any time soon though. Who knows what the future holds? I've already learned a bunch just street-driving it. I've driven manuals my whole life, but this car has inspired me to really learn how to do it properly.

I really need to go to a driving school. Any recommendations?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I really need to go to a driving school. Any recommendations?
    I had an employee go to the Skip Barber Racing School at Watkins Glen, here in upstate NY. He did well enough to try his hand a being a professional driver.

I believe that The Skip Barber Racing School has an affiliation at The Circuit of The Americas in Austin as well.

Might be worth a look see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast