starting strength gym
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Has anyone attended a seminar that was sponsored by a public safety agency?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Please hear me out because I agree with much of what you said. The only part I take issue with is that "if a female police officer is skilled in certain martial arts..." While this is technically true, she would have to be extremely skilled, like professional fighter skilled, to make up for her lack of size and strength in a physical confrontation with a male of even slightly above average strength and especially if he has fighting skill himself. As you know, a street fight for real is about a million times removed from the controlled environment of the classroom so for the training to work against a bigger, stronger opponent in the real world where there's no rules, you'd have to be very, very skilled.
    I don't really disagree with you. Note that I said "most situations." In my admittedly dated experience, most physical confrontations were with drunk or high or otherwise impaired people. Certainly not skilled street fighters. And a baton is something of an equalizer. It only takes 8 pounds of pressure to break a knee cap.

Quote Originally Posted by UberBabs View Post
    And a baton is something of an equalizer. It only takes 8 pounds of pressure to break a knee cap.
    So in the 70's they still taught American cops how to beat people up. Good to know.

I don't really disagree with you. Note that I said "most situations." In my admittedly dated experience, most physical confrontations were with drunk or high or otherwise impaired people. Certainly not skilled street fighters. And a baton is something of an equalizer. It only takes 8 pounds of pressure to break a knee cap.
    Or a collar bone. Those things snap like twigs.

I'm a fan of any officer being highly competent in gross control of an individual coupled with violence of action. Palm strikes to the nose, knees center mass and a good take down will work for just about anyone if applied on time and with enough immediate aggression, but finding a female office who is capable and on point is the challenge.

Thanks guys. This community has done me a lot of good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    So in the 70's they still taught American cops how to beat people up. Good to know.
    That is not beating people up. It is stopping a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    Or a collar bone. Those things snap like twigs.
    It was against general orders to raise a baton over one's head. Going for the collar bone is cutting it close.

starting strength coach development program
    That is not beating people up. It is stopping a threat.
    That's no good.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456