starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins

Default Twins

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

I've had an irritating case of golfer's elbow for a few months. In my search for a remedy, I found this thread which suggests using a Theraband:

Golfers elbow

I bought one and started using it yesterday. It provided some temporary relief. In going through the exercise, I wondered if I could adapt the chinning motion to provide similar effect.

There is partial success. I now have variant of chins I call "twisting chins" ("twins"). During the concentric portion of chinning, internally rotate the hands, with the little fingers leading the internal motion. It is an awkward motion and not very repeatable. However, I find it relieves some of the pain and infer this relief indicates a different and beneficial stimulation of the connective tissue at the lateral epicondyle (the focus of my pain). In time we'll see if this has a lasting effect.

Does this make any physical sense to you?

Vince

No. Video?

I should be able to get video in the next week.

Also, I meant "medial" not "lateral". The little bump on the inside of the elbow.

When a connective tissue does that with me, I hit the trigger points above and below when the inflammation and pain are at their worst. Usually by mashing into a lacrosse ball pinned between me and the wall so that I can apply a lot of pressure. I don't massage, but I hold it for ~25 seconds and then release. Make sure to stay off nerves/major vessels. Pain instantly gone, and it stays that way for a very long time afterwards. Enough where I can finish doing whatever (combatives, pull-ups, lifting, mowing, etc.) and sleep well that night. I don't know why it works, but it does. It also works when I pinch the knots that form in my superior trapezius due to work, fatigue and stress. Hold for 25 and release. Hurts the same and helps the same because the knots relax out.

I have wondered about if it has some effect on nerve signaling with pressure and pain in the same way you can survive kidney stone pain by cramming a tightly rolled pillow into your abdomen and hugging/squeezing it into you for dear life. Maybe it mushes fluids and blood around, but the immediate relief seems more likely to be a nerve thing.

Here is video:

September 20, 2022 - YouTube

I cannot see the rotation I describe above. If anything, perhaps it’s an isometric effect.

Maybe you should try the high-rep version of the "pin-firing" technique unloaded. Like 20 sets of 5. See what that does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Maybe you should try the high-rep version of the "pin-firing" technique unloaded. Like 20 sets of 5. See what that does.
    Will do. Same grip width?

Thanks.

Yes, a little wider than shoulder width.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Yes, a little wider than shoulder width.
    How many sessions of 20 x 5 per week would you recommend?

I completed my first session of this yesterday: a one minute rest for the first 10 sets, and a two minute rest for the second 10 sets. The pain decreased as I worked through the sets. Overall, it was not excruciating. I might widen my grip further.

starting strength coach development program
    Usually takes about 5 sessions, and then keep doing your chins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast