starting strength gym

Thread: one permanently bent elbow

Default one permanently bent elbow

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Mark, I am 6" 247 lbs 47 years old. I have been training the program for almost 2 years. I'm the guy that lost 200 lbs using your program and weight loss surgery and zero cardio. I'd like to continue to deadlift without straps(last 1rm was 415), but I have an issue. Hook grip is beginning to get difficult to maintain and I can't alternate grip because my one elbow doesn't straighten even close to all the way, so the bar is at an angle to my shins. Have you ever encountered this before? Any ideas or feedback you could provide would be appreciated. I've attached pictures for reference.straight arm.jpgbent arm.jpg

Just go ahead and use straps. That's what straps are for.

Deadlift Grip Adjustments | Nick Delgadillo

Thanks will do. Have you ever come across this issue? If so ever seen it fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Just go ahead and
    use straps. That's what straps are for.

Deadlift Grip Adjustments | Nick Delgadillo

Your elbow? Bones get denser and bigger, but joints don't straighten out of the problem is bony morphology.

Quote Originally Posted by Rgjujitsu View Post
    Hi Mark, I am 6" 247 lbs 47 years old. I have been training the program for almost 2 years. I'm the guy that lost 200 lbs using your program and weight loss surgery and zero cardio. I'd like to continue to deadlift without straps(last 1rm was 415), but I have an issue. Hook grip is beginning to get difficult to maintain and I can't alternate grip because my one elbow doesn't straighten even close to all the way, so the bar is at an angle to my shins. Have you ever encountered this before? Any ideas or feedback you could provide would be appreciated. I've attached pictures for reference.straight arm.jpgbent arm.jpg
    Maybe it's the angle but your arm looks pretty normal to me. Neither of my arms straighten more than that. I've always used a mixed grip without a problem, for whatever that's worth.

starting strength coach development program
    The premise of a permanently bent elbow and not a single crack about drinking alcohol. This place is slipping.