starting strength gym

Thread: R.I.P. Bill Pearl

Default R.I.P. Bill Pearl

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jim Moser tells me that Bill Pearl has passed. Jimmy knew him, "He was a man's man, and a consummate gentleman."

Default Bill Pearl Visit

Bill visited me in Maui. He did a impromptu mini seminar in our gym. Very fascinating and informative. The next day Bill Pearl had me open the gym at 4:00am so he could barbell train, he trained intensely for a hour and a half. Bill Pearl trained 5 days a week at 4:00am until his tractor accident when he was 91. He is and should be an inspiration for us all. I got to visit Bill twice a year up until the Chinese virus crippled our country making travel almost impossible. Bill was a friend, mentor and inspiration and true gentleman. In his 80’s he would go out of his way to open doors and push chairs in for women. If a women came to our table he was the first to stand up, if a women left the table he immediately stood up. He had a firm handshake and look you in the eye when he talked to you. He only needed to meet you once and he knew your name for life.

Bill Pearl refused to sell out to Joe Weider. He was arguably the greatest bodybuilder of all time. The following story sums up the Bill Pearl legacy.

Joe Weider kept Arnold Schwarzenegger from competing head to head with Bill Pearl in the Mr Universe. In 1967 Pearl won the Pro Mr Universe and Arnold won the amateur Mr Universe. The photo’s of the two together made it pretty evident Bill Pearl would have crushed Arnold Schwarzenegger. In 1971 Joe Weider pulled Arnold from the Mr Universe contest when he got word Bill Pearl was making a comeback and would be in the contest. Had Arnold been allowed to compete he certainly would have been defeated by Bill Pearl and this would have cost Weider millions in revenue.

Rest In Peace Bill Pearl you will be missed by anyone who ever met you. Whenever you think of skipping a workout or that you are to old to train, just think of Bill Pearl waking up at 3:30am and going to his garage to bang out a barbell workout in his 90’s.