starting strength gym

Thread: Bridge Enhanced ACL Restoration

Default Bridge Enhanced ACL Restoration

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Mark,

I've unfortunately found myself with a full thickness tear of the ACL. I was planning on a patellar tendon graft repair, but a buddy mentioned a new Bridge Enhanced ACL Restoration technique now available. Do you have any familiarity with this new surgical procedure and it's effectiveness vs. traditional options?

Thanks.

Age/Height/Weight/Training status/athletic activities.

Height: 5' 9"
    Weight: 189
    Training Status: Prior to the injury my 5 rep numbers were around

Squat: 305
    Deadlift: 375
    Bench: 265
    Press: 175

After the initial injury, I de-loaded the lower body lifts a few weeks later and worked my way back up. Knee was feeling much better after about two months and I re-injured it pushing off it while stepping into a U-Haul carrying a couch. At this point, I figured something was structurally wrong. MRI concurred. De-loaded again. Squatted 245 for 3x5 yesterday.

I'm fairly active with rock climbing and skiing at a relatively high level.

I had mine repaired when I was about your age, and the graft ruptured about 4 years later. I haven't had any issues with it since then, because I have modified my behavior, as you can learn to do. I have had lots of surgery, and what you learn is that a repaired joint is never original equipment, and thinking that it is will get you hurt. A rather high percentage of the NFL has a ruptured ACL. Strong hamstrings make it almost unnecessary. If you want to have it fixed, I would use an allograft procedure. Do not let them harvest the graft from your hamstring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    ...If you want to have it fixed, I would use an allograft procedure. Do not let them harvest the graft from your hamstring.
    Too true, too true...

Where's my time machine!?!?

I've read through previous threads on this topic, and a hamstring or quad graft is out of the picture, but I understood that the patellar graft was/is the gold standard. A cadaver graft runs about $4k extra, and I'll grudgingly pay the additional cost if the outcome is better, but it nearly doubles the cost of the procedure and has a higher rupture rate. I understand that the original equipment ain't coming back, but I want to get as close to that state as possible. Thoughts?

What is the difference in the rupture rate?

I have spent the last 27 years of my life with an unrepaired ruptured ACL. Because I don’t play contact sports I haven’t felt limited by my missing ACL in any way whatsoever. Probably not a big deal for most people, especially if you squat correctly.

What is the difference in the rupture rate?
    Possibly negligible, depending on age(>40) and allograft type(nonirradiated). The age cutoff seems to be ~40. I suppose I'm old now.

"The QTA group had the lowest mean yearly graft failure rate (0.72%), followed by the BPTBA group (1.16%), the HTA group (1.70%) and the allograft group (1.76%)."

Failure rates of common grafts used in ACL reconstructions: a systematic review of studies published in the last decade | SpringerLink
    Autograft versus allograft in anterior cruciate ligament rec... : Medicine

starting strength coach development program
    I had mine repaired when I was about your age, and the graft ruptured about 4 years later. I haven't had any issues with it since then, because I have modified my behavior, as you can learn to do. I have had lots of surgery, and what you learn is that a repaired joint is never original equipment, and thinking that it is will get you hurt. A rather high percentage of the NFL has a ruptured ACL. Strong hamstrings make it almost unnecessary. If you want to have it fixed, I would use an allograft procedure. Do not let them harvest the graft from your hamstring.
    Agree regarding hamstring grafts. I had a hamstring graft for ACL repair in 2014, that hamstring has never been right, is weak, and cramps when I kneel. There are possible issues with patellar grafts as well but I wish I had gone that route.