starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 Month TRT Bloodwork

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Keith Nichols MD View Post
    First of all whenever you start testosterone therapy it’s going to take some time for your body to acclimate. So some initial side effects you may be experiencing will usually resolve with time. Most men want to make changes too quickly before they give their body the chance to acclimate. If we were to somehow be able to raise our testosterone levels naturally to an optimal level that would occur over time and our body would acclimate naturally. The problem with testosterone therapy is that we raise our levels quickly and that can call some initial side effects that will resolve with Time And almost every individual. Everything gets blamed on Estradiol. Also, all the hormones work synergistically and I find it best to optimize all the hormones along with testosterone. In addition, a lot of your problems are not testosterone related because you in fact have hypothyroidism based on your most recent lab studies. A lot of men do not feel better when they get on testosterone therapy because the symptoms of testosterone deficiency and thyroid deficiency overlap in many areas. A lot of clinics are throwing testosterone at what is in fact a thyroid problem. That’s why you need to have someone look at all of your hormones and make recommendations based on symptoms and levels of each hormone. If you look at the package insert for human chorionic gonadotropin you will see some of the problems you’re experiencing as a side effect.

With regard to fertility. Yes you can start hCG along with testosterone but a lot of men choose to start testosterone in isolation and when they are ready to father a child they will then add hCG to their testosterone or discontinue their testosterone for a period of time and utilize only hCG and clomid for instance until the pregnancy is obtained. So a man can use hCG or Clomid in place of testosterone to maintain fertility, they can utilize testosterone along with hCG to maintain fertility, or they can use testosterone initially and then when they’re ready to father a child add hCG and or Clomid. So there are options depending on the individuals personal preferences.

If a man wants to have a child in the immediate future then it’s best not to utilize testosterone but instead utilize hCG or Clomid as mono therapy. The problem is most men don’t feel good on hCG or clomid model therapy. Other options would be to utilize hCG along with testosterone which will maintain fertility and once the pregnancy is obtained then they can discontinue the hCG. Other options would be to utilize testosterone in isolation and then once someone is ready for pregnancy they can then add hCG and or Clomid or even HMG if necessary and even consider discontinuing testosterone and told a pregnancy is obtained. So there are various options that one can discuss with their provider and make the best decision for them and their family

What you were reading is a initial rough draft of a review article I am writing on the topic. Blood is usually tested for an increase in hematocrit and platelets to rule out disorders like polycythemia vera before people are allowed to donate. I will provide Mark with the finished article with all the references once it is completed so that he can provide it to starting strength members
    As I suspected, I know my TSH has been steadily creeping up over the years, to which all the wonderful GPs & Endos I've seen all said its fine & until I have a TSH of 10 the NHS will not want to treat me. I do know as well I have thyroid peroxidase antibodies (356Ku/L tested earlier in the year).

I spoke to the Dr at the clinic and when I mentioned the points around H&H & also the Estradiol, he didn't seem bothered & still insisted I donate + reduce my dose to once per day. He also wasn't bothered about the TSH; starting to consider a move to the states so I can actually see clinicians that are willing to treat the symptom rather than the range. I donated earlier this week, shock horror I feel no different to this time last week, if anything I feel more tired & lethargic.

Thank you once again for your insight Dr Nichols, are you a wonderful addition to this forum!

I'm not surprised by what you're telling me as I've had a clinic full of patients this week telling me the same exact thing. You know the only reason I do what I do today is because of what I personally went through myself. My own colleagues misdiagnosed me and mismanaged me. Once I discovered the true problem and was able to correct it and then made the decision that I would not let anyone have to go through what I did if I could help it. So the reason that a lot of men don't feel better with testosterone treatment only is because the clinics are throwing testosterone at what is actually a thyroid problem. A lot of men need them both adequately managed. You most likely will not feel at your best until you get your thyroid treated appropriately. I would recommend getting your free T3 tested and see what that level is as that is what is active at the cellular level and what drives clinical improvement.

I've just got my UK NHS blood tests back. I was due one as part of a prescription review and got them to add on testosterone. Happy to upload if anyone wants to see them.

Surprisingly I'm in the "normal" range, and yet here I am with symptoms. Still, if I want to I can book a telephone appointment with my GP. For December.

Managed to get a short So my Test result was:

23-Sep-2022 Serum testosterone - Normal - No action

Result: 16.2 nmol/L
    Range: 9.50 - 28.30nmol/L
    Looks like I am smack in the middle of the range. Asked if I could get free testosterone checked and they emailed an endocrinologist and I was told "No."

Thank God for your NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Thank God for your NHS.
    Anyone in the uk can pay for a blood test for about 80 pounds, the nhs is not mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Looks like I am smack in the middle of the range. Asked if I could get free testosterone checked and they emailed an endocrinologist and I was told "No."
    Wait three months for an appointment then have no say in your own health. Yay for free health care!

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    Anyone in the uk can pay for a blood test for about 80 pounds, the nhs is not mandatory
    Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Asked if I could get free testosterone checked and they emailed an endocrinologist and I was told "No."
    Then why was he told No?

Then why was he told No?
    Because you need to go to a private doctor, there are thousands of them here. You won’t get it for free like you wouldn’t in the US.

Then why was he told No?
    You could get it for free if you have health insurance which is widely available here.

Then why was he told No?
    This is a national well known pharmacy and I was mistaken on the price, it’s only fifty pounds.

Buy Testosterone Test Kits | Superdrug Online Doctor

starting strength coach development program
    I missed a word out on my previous post:

Managed to get a short notice telephone appointment. So my Test result was:
    I could get a private blood test, but my private medical insurance won't cover TRT as it's "part of aging". So even if I did get a private test done, I doubt if the my GP would accept it and I'd have to pay for my meds at massively marked up clinic rates.

For the £80 cost of a private test, you could probably buy a couple of months of supply from a reputable underground lab and just have a go (this isn't illegal to do in the UK - only dealing is criminalised).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast