starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TSFOSB Diet

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ansarfi View Post
    I can't afford a coach guys, I wish I could. I would have gotten one 2 years ago. My most recent run on standard TM (3 months ago) got me to 365x5 squat 235x5 bench, press 155x5, deadlift (I hurt my back warming up for 450x3)
    HLM type programming just never got me big PRs, they were small jumps every couple weeks, but I would have to reset those runs too because fatigue would always catch up to me.
    I used a lot of the 3-week waving stuff Andy Baker puts out to try to manage the fatigue.

I am going to switch back to Advanced Novice Programming for the time, I still need a solution for my deadlift.
    I can train everything besides heavy pulls off the floor. My back never hurts except when I try to break a heavy bar off the ground then my back will flair up for 2-5 days.
    Can I RackPull instead or should I just reset my deadlift to 225 or something? Also RDL's dont hurt my back because I can set my back at the top no problem. Even 4 inch block pulls hurt, maybe I should try 6 inch blocks and work down overtime.

On this novice run should I be trying to gain weight or see how far I can get at my current weight?

I really do not think I have low T, but I do have a small child at home and I am working and in college, so my stress is normally high.
    One more time: The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Can you show us your deadlift?

In addition to a deadlift video, can you describe what you typically do in the 2-5 days after you hurt your back deadlifting?

I can't afford a coach guys, I wish I could. I would have gotten one 2 years ago. My most recent run on standard TM (3 months ago) got me to 365x5 squat 235x5 bench, press 155x5, deadlift (I hurt my back warming up for 450x3)
    HLM type programming just never got me big PRs, they were small jumps every couple weeks, but I would have to reset those runs too because fatigue would always catch up to me.
    I used a lot of the 3-week waving stuff Andy Baker puts out to try to manage the fatigue.
    "Standard TM" suggests to me phase I of the 3-day program. That shit is hard and will definitely not last, especially with your sub-optimal recovery. But there are still phases 2-4 and a 4-day split (which can be done for only three days a week)! You need to read the intermediate section of PP:ST and actually implement what's discussed in there.

I don't think advanced novice programming will be fruitful or a good idea. Maybe in some world you're an advanced novice, but if so, your recovery and circumstance are sufficiently suboptimal to make you a an intermediate.

Given everything you've said, I'd look into a 4-day split variant of the TM, starting at phase 1 and then take it from there, progressing phases as progression stalls. You can do phase 3 and phase 4 TM for a long, long time, especially if you start rotating exercises on phase 4 and turn the thing into conjugate-lite. If the volume days are beating you up before you get into dynamic effort (or even once you get into dynamic effort), you can do cyclic rep ranges. Week 1 you do 5x5, week 2 you do 5x4, then 5x3, and then repeat---this is how Baker programs things; check out his TM article. He also does something similar for dynamic effort work (check out his conjugate programming in his lifter's club). You can also take a heterogeneous approach: I do DE and exercise rotation (aka conjugate-lite) for the deadlift, DE and rep rotation for the squat, and volume work and rep rotation for the press and bench. It's a flexible training method.

For the deadlift, technical issues aside and supposing continued pain/injury, doing what you can via rack pulls is a reasonable approach. (Indeed, I think this was discussed in a recent SS podcast but with the caveat that the vast majority of people can deadlift correctly even if they don't necessarily know how). I had a pretty bad back injury and couldn't pull off the floor for months; I addressed it by doing rack pulls (heavy) at a height that was pain-free and slowly LPing the height down. You should post a video like the others suggested.

Intermediate programming, with sufficient modification, can last forever. It's unlikely you'll ever actually become an advanced lifter nor have the luxury of circumstance that would permit productive training as one.

Well that would be good news if its true, but I am having a hard time seeing it.
    I have not missed a workout in over 2 years, and my first year of training I went from 170->230,
    I ate everything to keep late novice early intermediate style programming working, but eventually got stuck…..
    With peace and love, no one cares. That isn’t to to say this isn’t your thread and people like to solve special problems. However, yours is the same problems everyone has and everyone works through them. Nut up.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    "Standard TM" suggests to me phase I of the 3-day program. That shit is hard and will definitely not last, especially with your sub-optimal recovery. But there are still phases 2-4 and a 4-day split (which can be done for only three days a week)! You need to read the intermediate section of PP:ST and actually implement what's discussed in there.

I don't think advanced novice programming will be fruitful or a good idea. Maybe in some world you're an advanced novice, but if so, your recovery and circumstance are sufficiently suboptimal to make you a an intermediate.

Given everything you've said, I'd look into a 4-day split variant of the TM, starting at phase 1 and then take it from there, progressing phases as progression stalls. You can do phase 3 and phase 4 TM for a long, long time, especially if you start rotating exercises on phase 4 and turn the thing into conjugate-lite. If the volume days are beating you up before you get into dynamic effort (or even once you get into dynamic effort), you can do cyclic rep ranges. Week 1 you do 5x5, week 2 you do 5x4, then 5x3, and then repeat---this is how Baker programs things; check out his TM article. He also does something similar for dynamic effort work (check out his conjugate programming in his lifter's club). You can also take a heterogeneous approach: I do DE and exercise rotation (aka conjugate-lite) for the deadlift, DE and rep rotation for the squat, and volume work and rep rotation for the press and bench. It's a flexible training method.

For the deadlift, technical issues aside and supposing continued pain/injury, doing what you can via rack pulls is a reasonable approach. (Indeed, I think this was discussed in a recent SS podcast but with the caveat that the vast majority of people can deadlift correctly even if they don't necessarily know how). I had a pretty bad back injury and couldn't pull off the floor for months; I addressed it by doing rack pulls (heavy) at a height that was pain-free and slowly LPing the height down. You should post a video like the others suggested.

Intermediate programming, with sufficient modification, can last forever. It's unlikely you'll ever actually become an advanced lifter nor have the luxury of circumstance that would permit productive training as one.
    Thanks for taking the time to write this out. Your a G.

Yeah Phase 1 Tm runs were very productive but I could not keep up. I have tried four day TM but I started too heavy looking back.
    Historically I have not made moderate resets, I think that's part of the problem, I build up the fatigue but never back off as much as I should to make another productive run up.
    I honestly think most of my issues are from just going too hard too often and not being able to recover enough to make any productive run last long.
    I have not tried DE yet, and I have used the the Main 4 lifts almost exclusively in my training. Things to think about. I have already came to conclusion that I need more pulling variations because just hammering the deadlift the last year has got me nothing but buried in holes.

This one is a month or so after the first back tweak (upper right, mostly gone) and a couple months before the second one (lower left, current).

I do not have a lot of good deadleft footage but I fould one from April 22.

Deadlift 415x3 - YouTube

You are wasting the board's time. Your next response had better be a detailed answer to The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Deadlift 415x3 - YouTube
    The girl on the treadmill has a killer set of legs. Get your hips higher. Power through your set much quicker. Do your fives.

Thanks for taking the time to write this out. Your a G.

Yeah Phase 1 Tm runs were very productive but I could not keep up. I have tried four day TM but I started too heavy looking back.
    Historically I have not made moderate resets, I think that's part of the problem, I build up the fatigue but never back off as much as I should to make another productive run up.
    I honestly think most of my issues are from just going too hard too often and not being able to recover enough to make any productive run last long.
    I have not tried DE yet, and I have used the the Main 4 lifts almost exclusively in my training. Things to think about. I have already came to conclusion that I need more pulling variations because just hammering the deadlift the last year has got me nothing but buried in holes.

This one is a month or so after the first back tweak (upper right, mostly gone) and a couple months before the second one (lower left, current).

Deadlift 415x3 - YouTube
    You’re on your heels. Tongue sticking out makes me suspicious about how hard everything is being held tight. That jerking initiation of the rep is also an issue. Better intra set tempo, too, as Jovan noted.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You are wasting the board's time. Your next response had better be a detailed answer to The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe
    Sorry, I was under the impression that the primary reason human beings made the the internet was to waste time more effectively.

That aside,

1) I take 3-12 minute rest depending on how heavy the shit is. On a heavy 5x5 Squat day it is 10-12 minutes.
    I normally can Heavy Bench with 5-8 minute rests, Heavy Presses 5-7 minutes, Heavy Pulls 10-12 minutes.
    I do rush through my assistance and accessory work though, 2-4 minutes between sets, this unfortunately includes PC.
    I plan on adding PCs back in as a main lift here shortly.

2)I normally make 5 lb jumps on everything, I am realizing while typing this that I actually fucked up by doing this on my Bench and Press. I should have just been adding 1-2 lbs. But My Bench has been steady improving regardless abet slow.
    Also I am knuckleheaded if I feel really good one week I will add 10-15 lbs to make a big PR. This normally occurs on my squat, ex: I kept getting stuck at 325x5x5 for months, then all of a sudden I wake in and hit 335x5x5 even though I hit 315x5x5 the week before.
    Maybe I am fucking my future progress up by being greedy.

3)I do not get enough sleep, I remember the days of 9+ hours not to long ago before I started training, but having a kid, life stress, normal aging shit, I get 5-7 hours a night now.
    I am disciplined with my diet going from 170-230 in less then a year was one of the hardest things I have ever done. I did not remember what hunger felt like.
    Now I just try to maintain my weight while making minor adjustments up or down depending on my fat levels.
    So that's 3500 if I am losing weight, 4000 if I am maintaining and 4500+ if I am gaining weight. I use MFP every so often to get an idea of what my diet consist of.
    75% of my diet is Vertical, I eat mostly Monster Mash, eggs, milk, orange juice, whey isolate, steak, rice, honey nut cheerios. I occasionally eat chips, ice cream, cause goddamn it taste good.
    This results in me getting 200-300 grams of protein, the mode is roughly 240 g.

so In Review:

The things I am fucking up:

1) Not treating the PC with the same attention as the other main lifts

2) Making to big of jumps on my Presses and Bench Presses. Occasionally making too big of jumps on the Squat.

3) Not sleeping enough. Though despite having a "good" diet, I am honestly confused about how much weight I should gain, lose or keep at this stage.

Feel free to add to this list.
    Feel free to leave me here alone on this thread to think about what has already been said.
    Either way thanks for coming here and wasting your time with me to better your fellow man in the pursuit of strength.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast