starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TSFOSB Diet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ansarfi View Post
    .2)I normally make 5 lb jumps on everything, I am realizing while typing this that I actually fucked up by doing this on my Bench and Press. I should have just been adding 1-2 lbs. But My Bench has been steady improving regardless abet slow.
    Also I am knuckleheaded if I feel really good one week I will add 10-15 lbs to make a big PR. This normally occurs on my squat, ex: I kept getting stuck at 325x5x5 for months, then all of a sudden I wake in and hit 335x5x5 even though I hit 315x5x5 the week before.
    Maybe I am fucking my future progress up by being greedy.
    This is the obvious problem. You are not training, you're just fucking around in the gym.

Why not try squatting and deadlifting on different days regardless of intensity?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    This is the obvious problem. You are not training, you're just fucking around in the gym.
    Justin, you have gotten some harsh but necessary comments. Things were written here that you need to comprehend if you want to step it up to the next level. If you got a coach you would already know these things and be applying them, you obviously have some dedication and passion for training, seems a waste to see that enthusiasm plateau with middling lifts. Get a coach. Don't give me that can't afford it bullshit. Can you really AFFORD to be a grown man in his prime working hard just to be squatting in the 300s?

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Can you really AFFORD to be a grown man in his prime working hard just to be squatting in the 300s?
    Non-retarded grown men in their prime can also just read/understand a book. Conveniently, there's one all about the very stuff we're talking about. And it's the same one that coaches affiliated with this brand learn from. Wow!

Believe it or not, but this shit really isn't so complicated so as to necessitate a "professional" given the vast amount of resources available to the recreational lifter.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Non-retarded grown men in their prime can also just read/understand a book. Conveniently, there's one all about the very stuff we're talking about. And it's the same one that coaches affiliated with this brand learn from. Wow!

Believe it or not, but this shit really isn't so complicated so as to necessitate a "professional" given the vast amount of resources available to the recreational lifter.
    Lot of assumptions wrapped up in this very broad generalization.

Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    Non-retarded grown men in their prime can also just read/understand a book.
    Apparently, based on observations over the past eight to 10 years and especially the past three, "non-retarded [adults]" are in short supply in Western society as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramus View Post
    Apparently, based on observations over the past eight to 10 years and especially the past three, "non-retarded [adults]" are in short supply in Western society as a whole.
    Zing! Book is great and all, and I walked into an SS training camp having read it cover to cover maybe 10 times, and training for close to 10 years. I expected to be top of the class and would be held aloft above the other students as the shining example of technique and knowledge. I wound up feeling like the worst student, the coaches found significant error and bad habits accumulated over years of misinterpretation of the text. Matter of fact, it's pretty rare for a good coach ever say 'that was perfect'.

Maybe I was an extreme example, as I trained alone, but I could have saved myself a lot of time if I got a coach off the bat. That's my cautionary tale.

starting strength coach development program
    When people say they can't afford a coach I have come to think they don't know what they need. For me, there are training coaches and programming coaches. It worked out that way by accident because my coach moved across the country. But you still need two functions from a coach, form, and programming, and oh yea, some people want their hand held.

For a late LPer, a one hour form session shouldn't break the bank. The an email or telephone relationship with a programmer should keep them on track as their reps and sets need to change.

I don't know the current rates for a form session with an SSC in your area, but a one hour session ever couple of months shouldn't break the bank.

So when someone says "I can't afford a coach ...", I really thing we are not talking about the same thing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123