starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nasal congestion

Default Nasal congestion

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, Mark. A few months ago you mentioned on one of SSR podcasts that you use oxymetazoline (if I remember correctly) to treat chronic nasal congestion. I've been living with a deviated septum for 20 years myself and never considered a decongestant as a treatment option. I knew a guy once, who was so desperate for a thing, that he got hooked up on snorting tobacco, accompanied by xylomethazoline. I asked him how this prolonged exposure affected him and he described the symptoms of rhinitis medicamentosa. I don't know if he eventually kicked the habit or had to have a nose transplant, but it left me with an idea that decongestants are not a good option. Since there's a 50% chance that the civilization is going to collapse in the next couple years I am trying not to get hooked up on any medication that will become unavailable in a boogaloo-type scenario. So I have a quaestion, did you ever develop any rhinitis medicamentosa symptoms yourself, do you have a problem going without it or do you take it every day? Also, I have high blood pressure and mild alcoholism like you (extrapolating from your color and cheerful demeanor), and those seem to be contraindications to using oxymetazoline. Do you give credit to that?

I have been using oxymetazoline for 35 years. I use it only at night before I go to bed. If I don't use it, I don't sleep, so I keep a supply on hand in case Joe Brandon decides that he knows better than I do. My ENT guy says he can see changes in the mucosa, but he's not worried about it. I have perceived no trouble from using it, and I wish I had started doing my morning saline nasal cleanout and nightly spray about 10 years earlier. I have never heard of the shit your smelly buddy uses.

Thanks for the reply. I've been using breath strips for last six months. They definetely improve my breathing, but not as good oxymetazoline (I've been using it to treat covid-induced nasal congestion myself for the last 10 years, but not more than 3-5 days at a time).

I had chronic sinus infections and ear infections for 30 years. Bad enough to have ruptured ear drums and bleeding from the ears along with substantial hearing loss.

I quit taking the blood pressure medication I was prescribed when I was 25 years old, 3 years ago.

One of the listed adverse side effects was nasal issues, allergies, constant sniffles. Unfortunately I didn't know this til many years later when I started really questioning the medical pharmaceutical complex

Haven't even had the sniffles since, no allergies anymore, and I can sleep through the night breathing completely clearly now.

I could sleep on a concrete slab now and still wake up well rested.

Quote Originally Posted by mkm5 View Post
    I could sleep on a concrete slab now and still wake up well rested.
    I am kind of the same way, only the opposite.

I had Nasal turbinate reduction surgery a couple months ago, has helped enormously and I am now completely off oxymetazoline, whether the surgery will be a permanent fix remains to be seen.

In a desperate bid to reduce night time nasal congestion, I recently attempted an elimination diet, to see if it was something I was eating/drinking. Nothing but water and meat (mostly fatty beef) and within a couple of days, I didn't need my spray to sleep (and snoring reduced, apparently) - about 90% improvement. Slowly adding foods back in to see if I can figure out if one or more things contributes to congestion. Of course it could also be dust/dogs/other or just my mind, but I like being able to breathe and wake up rested.

Of course, this approach wouldn't be ideal for someone seriously into training/competing - but this past-his-prime fella currently has different priorities.

I’ve been using Sudafed spray ever since that podcast where you mentioned using oxymetazoline to help with sleep.

It helps me sleep and I’ll use it during the day too cos I don’t give a shit. Fuck it. I like having a clear nose.

First time I’ve had a clear nose in decades. I’ve broken my nose 4 times and always struggled. If it causes long term issues who gives a shit. Live fast. Die young. Use nasal spray. Could let a surgeon operate but I’ll be asleep and they could get my cock out and take photos.

No thank you. I’m sticking with the spray.

I had chronic sinus infections and ear infections for 30 years.
    You meant 3 years, right?

I quit taking the blood pressure medication I was prescribed when I was 25 years old, 3 years ago.
    What was the justification to put you on blood pressure meds at age 25?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by zft View Post
    What was the justification to put you on blood pressure meds at age 25?
    They needed justification?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast