starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Interview with Malcolm Kendrick

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I appreciate this thread because I've been dealing with higher cholesterol for years. When my diet is "good," meaning low carb, high fat, no seed oil, and lots of veggies, my cholesterol goes through the roof with, I presume, more elevated LDL (275 a few days ago) than the original poster. My measures of diabetes (A1C and fasting glucose) are very good. My HDL (85), weight, and blood pressure are very good. My marker of inflammation (C-Reactive Protein) is very low. I await a further breakdown of my LDL (sd-LDL, etc.). My last CT scan was 4 years ago but it showed zero coronary plaques.

However, even though I feel great, I am highly concerned about my LDL because the guidelines suggest treating above 190 with a high-dose statin for primary prevention. According to the calculators, my 10-year risk of a CV event is 6%.

If anyone has any advice for me, I would appreciate it. I've never seen a lipidologist, but that could be a good step. Should I get yearly CT scans?

The only thing you need to do is accept that the recommendations for treating LDL are wrong.
    If you have cut out seed oil you are 90% there on eating correctly.
    YouTube CarnivoreMD

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mantzouris View Post

However, even though I feel great, I am highly concerned about my LDL ... guidelines ... calculators

If anyone has any advice for me, I would appreciate it.
    You are obviously a numbers junkie. The advice would be to ditch the numbers, but it is highly doubtful you will manage to do this.

Mike, if you're not familiar with Dave Feldman and Ivor Cummins, their work might help ease your mind.

Manipulating LDL numbers on a lipid panel because someone says high is bad, even though every other number is great and you are otherwise in good health, is ultimately a waste of time and stress.

As Dr Malcolm says...LDL cannot be the cause of CVD.

I suppose I could easily be accused of cognitive dissonance given my 'number' always came back in bold red font, but I eventually let go of the dogma.

(If this is the wrong place to ask this, please delete and I'll make a new thread to ask this)

I don't mean to hijack the OP, but this seemed a good place to ask questions about my own blood workup from a couple weeks ago. I have no idea how to interpret these numbers that are in the red and won't be seeing the doctor for a follow-up till January.

These numbers are just the first page of the report. Except for the numbers in red, all the other numbers in the rest of the report's pages are in the green. It's my first blood workup ever and I have no medical issues or illnesses. No one told me to fast before the blood was drawn, so I had dinner, then breakfast, then blood drawn in the afternoon. But the day before, I pigged out on a McRib, Quarter Pounder, fries, and milkshake (The McRib is back, so I had to get that monkey off my back ).

Most of my meals are normally skinless chicken breast or some form of beef and a variety of veggies. I thought maybe the McDonald's pigout was the cause of a spike in the red numbers, but I don't know enough to know. I'm a novice who had been doing the SS blue book program for the past year+...and it was going well till August 2022, when I had to take a 3-month hiatus due to a painful back injury that took me offline. Now, I've recovered and returning to the program.

Anyway...I've done a variety of reading to learn more about these numbers, but I just don't have a feel for what they mean in my context. Good, bad, something to worry about, and/or die at any moment...I don't know, so any input is appreciated, since I won't see the doctor for another six weeks. I don't want to go on any medications, if possible, and would rather adjust my diet if something is worrisome about the numbers.

CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL 205 H Reference Range: <200 mg/dL
    HDL CHOLESTEROL 42 Reference Range: > OR = 40 mg/dL
    TRIGLYCERIDES 280 H Reference Range: <150 mg/dL
    LDL-CHOLESTEROL 120 H mg/dL (calc) Reference range: <100
    CHOL/HDLC RATIO 4.9 Reference Range: <5.0 (calc)
    NON HDL CHOLESTEROL 163 H Reference Range: <130 mg/dL (calc)

Also had them measure Testosterone:
    TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL, MS = 323

My specifications:
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 260 (about 40-50 more lbs of fat I'm in the process of losing. Used to weigh 330 lbs, but have dropped 60 lbs in past year, while doing SS program)
    No medical issues or illnesses. Ever. Just the occasional normal injuries, like punctures, burns, and other exterior damage.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermane View Post
    Most of my meals are normally skinless chicken breast or some form of beef and a variety of veggies. I thought maybe the McDonald's pigout was the cause of a spike in the red numbers, but I don't know enough to know.
    Your regular diet was the cause of the McDonald's pigout, a psychological coping mechanism for dealing with the abuse associated with skinless chicken. If you'll eat more normally, you won't be tempted to go to McDonald's. And if you do go to McDonald's, get 4 double cheeseburgers and throw away the buns.

Anyway...I've done a variety of reading to learn more about these numbers, but I just don't have a feel for what they mean in my context. Good, bad, something to worry about, and/or die at any moment...I don't know, so any input is appreciated, since I won't see the doctor for another six weeks. I don't want to go on any medications, if possible, and would rather adjust my diet if something is worrisome about the numbers.
    Does the fact that he doesn't want to see you for 6 weeks tell you anything about the urgency?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    And if you do go to McDonald's, get 4 double cheeseburgers and throw away the buns.
    Just order the patties, they'll do that for you at Mcdonald's. I went to Mcdonald's today and ordered 4 quarter pound patties and it was $7.70 including sales tax, the price for two double quarter pounders with cheese is $15.03, so almost half the price. It seems as though their beef is treated as a loss leader.

Quote Originally Posted by 1200cc View Post
    Just order the patties, they'll do that for you at Mcdonald's. I went to Mcdonald's today and ordered 4 quarter pound patties and it was $7.70 including sales tax, the price for two double quarter pounders with cheese is $15.03, so almost half the price. It seems as though their beef is treated as a loss leader.
    McDonalds burger patties are suspicious. I much prefer Burger King when forced to make these type of choices. If you go to Burger King and order a triple whopper "low carb" style, they serve it to you in a little bowl with no bun, three beef patties, a little bit of lettuce tomato and onion. Use a knife and fork to eat a perfect 60g of beef protein with a few bites of vegetables on the side. Excellent meal and very reasonably priced.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermane View Post
    (If this is the wrong place to ask this, please delete and I'll make a new thread to ask this)

I don't mean to hijack the OP, but this seemed a good place to ask questions about my own blood workup from a couple weeks ago. I have no idea how to interpret these numbers that are in the red and won't be seeing the doctor for a follow-up till January.

These numbers are just the first page of the report. Except for the numbers in red, all the other numbers in the rest of the report's pages are in the green. It's my first blood workup ever and I have no medical issues or illnesses. No one told me to fast before the blood was drawn, so I had dinner, then breakfast, then blood drawn in the afternoon. But the day before, I pigged out on a McRib, Quarter Pounder, fries, and milkshake (The McRib is back, so I had to get that monkey off my back ).

Most of my meals are normally skinless chicken breast or some form of beef and a variety of veggies. I thought maybe the McDonald's pigout was the cause of a spike in the red numbers, but I don't know enough to know. I'm a novice who had been doing the SS blue book program for the past year+...and it was going well till August 2022, when I had to take a 3-month hiatus due to a painful back injury that took me offline. Now, I've recovered and returning to the program.

CHOLESTEROL, TOTAL 205 H Reference Range: <200 mg/dL
    HDL CHOLESTEROL 42 Reference Range: > OR = 40 mg/dL
    TRIGLYCERIDES 280 H Reference Range: <150 mg/dL
    LDL-CHOLESTEROL 120 H mg/dL (calc) Reference range: <100
    CHOL/HDLC RATIO 4.9 Reference Range: <5.0 (calc)
    NON HDL CHOLESTEROL 163 H Reference Range: <130 mg/dL (calc)

Also had them measure Testosterone:
    TESTOSTERONE, TOTAL, MS = 323

My specifications:
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 260 (about 40-50 more lbs of fat I'm in the process of losing. Used to weigh 330 lbs, but have dropped 60 lbs in past year, while doing SS program)
    No medical issues or illnesses. Ever. Just the occasional normal injuries, like punctures, burns, and other exterior damage.

Thank you
    The entire fucking point of the Kendrick interview - which you somehow missed - is that your cholesterol numbers are practically irrelevant; cholesterol is not CAUSATIVE of heart disease. What does cause heart disease is being an old, slow and fat. Instead of getting spun out on the numbers, get lean, get muscular, get strong and only eat what your great grandfather ate in his pre-industrial native country. (And if youre some species of dago, no - you don't get to eat bowls and bowls of pasta, but you can eat sardines and olives.) This means eat the chicken skin; eat the egg yolks; cook with the butter, fat and lard, and for fucks sake stay the hell out of mcdonalds.

Get your test fixed. 323 is pathetic and making you sicker. Yes, weakness is sick and sickness is weak.

Do all that shit asap and your arteries stand a chance. Godspeed, fat man.

starting strength coach development program
    Anyone worried about high cholesterol, especially in the context of a low carb diet, check out videos by Dr. Ken Berry and set your mind at ease.

You might want to start here:
    Statin Deception (Truth about Cholesterol Medicines) New Study!!
    Statin Deception (Truth about Cholesterol Medicines) New Study!! - YouTube

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12