starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Interview with Malcolm Kendrick

Default Your Interview with Malcolm Kendrick

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I thought the interview was fascinating and I purchased his book this morning. Without going into much detail I’ve long questioned the relationship between cholesterol and heart disease. One thing to consider: 3 years ago I had a comprehensive blood draw. Cholesterol thru the roof…305. LDL thru the roof. LP PLA2 thru the roof. All numbers were terrible. I had two CT coronary angiograms performed and one was looked at by the author of the textbook on CT scans, Dr. Simeon Abramson. He told me heart was perfect, arteries perfect, and zero plaque. Go figure.

What did he say about your numbers?

He was of course extremely concerned which got me extremely concerned. I was prescribed 20mg Crestor and I inject Repatha twice a month. My numbers now are sparkling but I can’t help but wonder how they got so bad. I can’t help but wonder if I’ll have a cardiovascular event someday with sparkling numbers. I’m on page 60 of Malcom’s book: maybe I’ll find some truth.

What was your HDL and HDL:Triglyceride ratio?

These are usually considered better indicators. In fact, if I understand what I've read correctly there is literally zero correlation between LDL itself and coronary issues, and if Dr Kendrick's theory of heart problems is correct there can't be.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorLoomis View Post
    He was of course extremely concerned which got me extremely concerned. I was prescribed 20mg Crestor and I inject Repatha twice a month.
    I had two CT coronary angiograms performed and one was looked at by the author of the textbook on CT scans, Dr. Simeon Abramson. He told me heart was perfect, arteries perfect, and zero plaque. Go figure.
    Was this the same Dr? If the angiograms said the arteries were perfect and plaque free, what were the prescriptions for?

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    Was this the same Dr? If the angiograms said the arteries were perfect and plaque free, what were the prescriptions for?
    The numbers. The drugs treat the numbers. That is all. See where we are?

To better understand cholesterol and the effect of diet on, well, everything, I recommend watching Dr Paul Saladino's videos on youtube.
    He promotes eating an animal based diet, including organs, minimizing plants in the diet, except some fruit, and completely eliminating seed oils. This is the diet we evolved eating. Your cholesterol will be high, which is good, and your heart calcium scans will be ZERO. (My wife just had this scan and it was zero, which the doctor said was NEVER seen.)
    Sounds like your medications are unnecessary but will put you at risk of side effects, and probably cost a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Subby View Post
    The scripts were to combat and prevent possible future damage based on my poor numbers. That’s exactly what was said to me. Even though my heart was absolutely perfect I did have a 20% occlusion in the left carotid. I’m sure that’s where the decision to combat and prevent came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What did he say about your numbers?
    Here are numbers from 3 weeks ago….

Wonderful interview. Again. Thanks. Its interesting that you mention how engineers would never treat the date and conclusions as poorly as doctors do (with about 9 minutes left you mention this).

I first heard the term "glycocalyx" from an engineer, Ivor Cummings who is an Irish podcaster and engineer who decided to examine heart disease using an engineer's methods and standards for causation and outcomes. He explicitly undertook this inquiry as an engineer, not as a medical researcher. In this video he goes into the glycocalyx structures at length. Apparently these structures were largely unknown or unappreciated by medicine for a long time because: 1) when people die, the glycolalyx disappears almost immediately, so excised samples of vascular tissue contain no visible glycocalyx, and 2) it was not until electron microscope usage became widespread in medicine (so like the 80s I think) that the glycocalyx was even seen.

In this video, he agrees with Dr Kendrick's opinions and talks about a few matters in greater detail. But the takeaway is that whatever it is that damages to they glycocalyx is what leads to atherosclerotic plaques. Evidently the main thing that kills the glycocalyx is elevated blood sugars. This video is great because he really ties up a lot of the loose ends with heart disease, like: 1) how much cholesterol is in cigarette smoke? (none) 2) how much cholesterol is in saturated fat? (none) 3) if diabetes is correlated with heart disease, how much cholesterol is in elevated levels of blood sugar or insulin? (none) 4) how can vegans get heart disease? etc etc etc. Cummins doesn't answer these questions outright, because he doesn't have to. Those questions only matter if you accept the flawed and fraudulent premise that cholesterol is somehow inherently causative or heart disease.

What if Heart Disease and Diabetes had the same cause? | Ivor Cummins - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorLoomis View Post
    The scripts were to combat and prevent possible future damage based on my poor numbers. That’s exactly what was said to me. Even though my heart was absolutely perfect I did have a 20% occlusion in the left carotid. I’m sure that’s where the decision to combat and prevent came from.

Here are numbers from 3 weeks ago….

Imagine a world where the testosterone levels generate an automatic prescription to treat the numbers instead of cholesterol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast