starting strength gym

Thread: Quick Question - Book Title

Default Quick Question - Book Title

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    On the podcast where you interview Chase, you mention that you leant him a book on vertebrate paleontology. Is it the one by Alfred S Romer? Just curious, as I might want to give it a read. A forum search for 'Vertebrate Paleontology' didn't return any hits.

Not the Romer text. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052147809X/

Patterns and Processes of Vertebrate Evolution, by Robert Lynn Carroll.

Awesome. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D View Post
    Awesome. Thank you
    Robert, I was also curious about the book when I heard it referenced (or was it on a book list somewhere). Found my copy on Amazon.
    I did not take any geology courses or anything like that in college so I really wasn’t sure what the takeaway was other than trying to discern how various species evolved. And I am not sure that I was able to properly discerned the specific “random mutations”.
    None the less an its fun to flip through it, the illustrations are top notch, and it always helps to reflect on long time scales. Rip, feel free to set me straight, never had a geology course.

It has nothing to do with geology. The primary point of the book is that genetic mutation is not the only -- or even the primary -- mechanism by which evolution occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It has nothing to do with geology. The primary point of the book is that genetic mutation is not the only -- or even the primary -- mechanism by which evolution occurs.
    Appreciate the time setting me straight.
    Yes the author shows major transitions between forms which are nonlinear: extreme jumps that evolution cannot explain as being sequential random mutations especially in the specific time frames indicated. This coupled with drastic environmental changes that forces drastic changes or extinction? Is that the takeaway?

Asking for a friend. Seriously, I have struggled with drawing conclusions from the book which must be self evident to others but not to me.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Yes the author shows major transitions between forms which are nonlinear: extreme jumps that evolution cannot explain as being sequential random mutations especially in the specific time frames indicated. This coupled with drastic environmental changes that forces drastic changes or extinction? Is that the takeaway?
    It is. Gene expression is much more significant variable than genetic change. Lots of things are in the genome that are not expressed in the phenotype, but which can be expressed if the environment changes, which it always does.

I received the book, and I'm enjoying it so far. An interesting side note, if you weren't already aware, is that Carroll was Romer's final student.

Also, if you don't mind, do you have any recommendations for reading material on economics? I know that is not a very specific ask, so if your answer is simply "any intro to economics book", I understand

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D View Post
    Also, if you don't mind, do you have any recommendations for reading material on economics? I know that is not a very specific ask, so if your answer is simply "any intro to economics book", I understand
    Basic Economics by Tom Sowell.

starting strength coach development program
    Once again, thank you for your time. Its appreciated