starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Balding and testosterone levels

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    I started taking finasteride (propecia) 1mg daily and it has all but stopped, might've reversed.
    Any side effects, Alex?

OP: to add some detail, pattern hair loss still isn’t fully understood, but it is believed that affected men have hair follicles susceptible to gradual shrinking by exposure to DHT (dihydrotestosterone). Testosterone is acted upon by an enzyme, 5 alpha reductase, which converts it to DHT. Finasteride was originally introduced for enlarged prostate; hair regrowth was merely a happy coincidence. It may not be this simple, however. Some men like Alex report great results on “fin” but some guys see little if any. There may be other mechanisms of action at play. The effects of systemic suppression of DHT by 5-AR inhibition is complex and out of my wheelhouse of understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    I'm 25 now with beautiful long brown hair. Ladies love it. Or you could just be a man and shave it.
    The ladies would like you more with a shaved head. It is one of the very many proven facts from social science.

Before you take Propecia read up about the horror stories of the adverse reactions to this product. You would be better off shaving your head or managing your hair loss in some other way before taking this product or one like it. Online accounts do not even fully cover the number of people who have had bad experiences. There are many people who have had ED or depression that stopped taking the product and never reported it. DHT is one of the most important androgenic hormones in the body don't mess with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TJtraining View Post
    Most men will eventually begin balding once they get to middle age this is completely natural and even seen in non-human animals, but balding before then ( at say 26 ) is unnatural, but relatively common in todays age. Balding is a blood flow issue usually caused by skull shape. Modern humans have different skull shapes to even our recent ancestors as we no longer chew as much reducing the tension to our skulls and their need to remodel to accommodate that tension.

Long term stress is another important factor, as it takes resources away from peripheral functions such as hair growth and directs them towards vital organ function.

The best solution for balding is red light therapy, it increases blood flow to the skin by encouraging new blood vessels to form in the skin.

Testosterone ( DHT ) is considered a factor in balding because it causes hair growth in men, however still the ultimate cause of the hair follicle ceasing to produce is due to a lack of sufficient nutrients, not the DHT itself, the DHT just causes an increased need for nutrients.
    Fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by TJtraining View Post
    Most men will eventually begin balding once they get to middle age this is completely natural and even seen in non-human animals, but balding before then ( at say 26 ) is unnatural, but relatively common in todays age. Balding is a blood flow issue usually caused by skull shape. Modern humans have different skull shapes to even our recent ancestors as we no longer chew as much reducing the tension to our skulls and their need to remodel to accommodate that tension.

Long term stress is another important factor, as it takes resources away from peripheral functions such as hair growth and directs them towards vital organ function.

The best solution for balding is red light therapy, it increases blood flow to the skin by encouraging new blood vessels to form in the skin.

Testosterone ( DHT ) is considered a factor in balding because it causes hair growth in men, however still the ultimate cause of the hair follicle ceasing to produce is due to a lack of sufficient nutrients, not the DHT itself, the DHT just causes an increased need for nutrients.
    This is the biggest piece of crap I have read in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    This is the biggest piece of crap I have read in a while.
    One of the beauties of the English language is its broad variety on ways to say the same thing with different twists of expression.

There was a small study (Japan, I think) that reported modest positive results from scalp massage, which supports the claim that there are non-hormonal factors at play here, such as perhaps circulation. Minoxidil was originally an oral blood pressure medication before being repurposed as a topical hair loss treatment (Rogaine in the U.S.) It shows some efficacy without acting on DHT. Like any medication, there are side effect risks to consider.

I shaved my head bald during Covid to see what is would look like. Pros and cons, like almost anything.

I have read anecdotal reports of people regrowing hair after going on TRT.
    However, I have not observed enough people before and after TRT to know how rare it is.
    The causes of male pattern baldness may be less understood or more complex than we have thought if the TRT regrowth reports are true.

In any case, a good razor is the only proven safe, effective, attractive option with consistent results that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Yngvi View Post
    In any case, a good razor is the only proven safe, effective, attractive option with consistent results that I know of.
    A safety razor with Japanese razor blades. The brand Feather is cheap and super sharp. I have heard that Israeli blades are good, but I haven’t tested any.

starting strength coach development program
    Facial hair, big frame, and a don’t give a fuck attitude…. like my favorite fictional childhood hero Heihachi Mishima from Tekken. I’ve always held a special place in my heart for strong old men with a fitting character.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/al...20190202064246

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast