• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Watching Football: Something Weird Is Going On – PJ Media

Two things are happening:
    1. The league requiring vaccinations
    2. "Functional Training"

Not really that hard to understand.

A friend of mine has been making this observation of increased injuries for a few years and his theory is that pro ball players are too pampered now. He points out that the locker rooms used to be some folding tables and chairs where the guys played cards and drank a few beers after a hard day of practicing before going out for a steak dinner. Now they have state of the art recliners and gaming systems and all of them have personal masseuses, therapists, chefs, etc. Might be something to that.

John

Probably not. Probably my explanation explains it.

Something was going on, but what? Our anecdotal impression was confirmed by a longitudinal analysis conducted by the National Library of Medicine, which concluded that “The rate of injury in NFL players during weeks 1-4 of the 2020-2021 regular seasons was significantly higher than during 3 recent past NFL preseasons and regular seasons.” The first mRNA vaccine mandate came on the market in December 2020. The regular 2021 season began in early September, by which time most of the players would likely have been vaccinated. It was bad last year and clearly worse in 2022. Stamina and resilience, muscle and bone, have clearly been impacted.
    This is a CLASSIC bait-and-switch. Everyone did this in English 101 where it didn't matter how you cited your sources but it can't be done here. After reviewing the study it talks only about external injuries. It makes no conclusions about COVID-19 or the vaccine. The author is using one conclusion to derive another. Silly. This kind of stuff gets you kicked out of graduate school. A better way to phrase this would've been "it warrants further study" but that doesn't drive clicks I guess.

To me, it would appear that the vaccine has become the catch-all for the conspiracy theorists. I have heard every single ailment is attributed to the vaccine. On college campuses the number of students that have died of causes other than suicide has not risen to meet statistical significance. Colleges are some of the most heavily vaccinated places on earth. The military? Haven't heard anything about a dramatic rise in deaths - at least not one sanctioned by our government. Those guys have also gotten way worse, far more unproven vaccines. All of this, admittedly, anecdotal data are strikes against the idea that it's wholesale a horrible thing. Perhaps there are vulnerable populations (in particular people with existing cardiomyopathies) that may be at greater risk? Who knows. This poet-turned-citizen-scientist sure doesn't and I don't either. The difference is this guy is claiming to know.

t is known that practically all the players are vaxxed, with only rare exceptions like Aaron Rodgers. It is known that a soaring number of adverse effects have followed upon the introduction of the vaccines and booster shots, including the spiraling prominence of what is called SADS, or Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, people popping off in record numbers, with no prior warning, to heart attacks, brain clots, and cancer. No one in authority, not even families who have lost “loved ones,” will mention this unprecedented medical anomaly, which is certainly not the result of COVID-19 — the “19” is long past. Autopsies have plainly shown that the vaccines are implicated, as does the timeline. Yet omerta prevails.
    The word "practical" is kind of funny here. You could replace "it is known" with "God wills it" in this paragraph and it would be just as meaningless.

I find it hard to believe a cabal of scientists are keeping this data secret given our own spooks in the government can't even remember to lock their own doors. It just doesn't fit occam's razor. COVID brought not only an untested vaccine but a DRAMATIC rise in deaths from despair. Eating donuts and fast food every day, drinking yourself to death, hard drugs, etc for a couple years might've been all it took to put these people into a coronary. I'm not claiming it's not POSSIBLE that the vaccine is apparently always the reason. But I will claim in the absence of hard data the author is likely full of shit. Especially with claims like some mafioso omerta is keeping the real news from the people.

One need not consult the hundreds of meticulous and authentic reports and studies to arrive at similar conclusions. One need only spend a few months watching football to detect that something weird is happening. Players have become increasingly vulnerable, far more prone to injuries than in recent memory, and the carnage on the field consorts with the introduction of the vaccines.
    And of course, the top notch conclusion. You really don't need to look at the data (which is either in phase 1/2 of research or non-existent). Trust the poet who wrote this.

I propose an alternative hypothesis. In the absence of data showing these players died from myocarditis I would suppose exertion, paired with poor pre-game training (as you suggest), and a drive for numbers is killing them. The NFL suffers every single year more and more as fewer people tune into their sport. It would not be surprising to me the powers that be are forcing these players into taking exogenous hormones, dangerous untrialed drugs, etc. All of these need to be excluded before the vaccine can be conclusively proven to cause the problem. We can extrapolate using data from student athletes for some of it:

Sudden cardiac death in athletes: the Lausanne Recommendations - PubMed

50% of student athlete deaths are attributed to genetic malformations.

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/82821004.pdf

Another 2014 study confirming the same thing.

I have yet to find the mysterious study confirming that an alleged 1700% increase in athletic deaths (an oft-cited statistic among the anti-vaccine crowd) has occurred since the vaccine. However, we can see it's not unusual that athletes pushed to their limit end up dying. Majority of the time it's because of a genetic malformation.

I am eagerly awaiting actual news from scientists looking into the effects of the COVID-19 vaccine. However for my purposes, I reject the null hypothesis and accept the alternative. At the population level there is likely a more simple explanation. But it does beg the question. Rip, you run a very popular program and a gym. It is likely that if we sampled your customer base more than 50% of them would have one jab just using the compliance numbers. Have you, personally, noticed an increase in deaths at your gym beyond background?

They run a lot more plays now than they used to back in the day when it was slow, run first , run the clock out ball. They way throw more than run with players going up and trying to get balls more often and I’ve seen a lot more corners get hurt that way. Offenses go up tempo and run all types of shit. They don’t train for strength properly. I suspect the turf fields also cause more injury since it catches more on your cleats and apparently makes players run faster than grass. They’ve changed all the rules of tackling trying to save guys from getting hit in the head and you see more lower leg injuries and rib injuries. With constant scrutiny players are way more likely to sit out than play hurt. QBs often run the shit out of the ball in addition to throwing a lot more with the rise of the mobile QB. More chances for them to get hurt since they’re not handing it off 40 times a game and their careers will be a lot shorter, similar to a running back.

Ha. Okay then

The only data point mentioned in the article was the 2020-2021 season - which did have more injuries. I’m no vaccine apologist, but this would be before any player got a vaccine. The season had also had limited training camps and off season programs.

My anecdotal comment: look up the “immaculate reception” video of Franco Harris (R.I.P. today). Notice how much slower and bigger the players are. Put smaller, faster skill players on the field, faster collisions. In that situation - yes - an increase in injuries seem likely.

This has been a problem for a few years. They don't practice full speed/full contact (ostensibly to avoid injuries) so their exposure to hard hits is limited to gameday. They don't train for strength so they're more susceptible to injuries. Throw the vaccination on top of that and you have the modern NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Watching Football: Something Weird Is Going On – PJ Media

Two things are happening:
    1. The league requiring vaccinations
    2. "Functional Training"

Not really that hard to understand.
    No doubt you are correct.

In addition, on a recent podcast, your friend John Welbourne causally hypothesized that the present fragility of the players is due to changes in rules of play. The game is gentler now, which makes them less durable, as they get beaten up/battered less regularly. Regular hard hits leads to a certain durability when it happens often enough. But due to the kindler gentler game that is now played, with fewer hard hits, it causes weakness so that when the inevitable collision or hard hit happens, albeit with less frequency, the players are not as well able to absorb it. Interesting.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by j410s View Post
    I find it hard to believe a cabal of scientists are keeping this data secret given our own spooks in the government can't even remember to lock their own doors. It just doesn't fit occam's razor. COVID brought not only an untested vaccine but a DRAMATIC rise in deaths from despair. Eating donuts and fast food every day, drinking yourself to death, hard drugs, etc for a couple years might've been all it took to put these people into a coronary. I'm not claiming it's not POSSIBLE that the vaccine is apparently always the reason. But I will claim in the absence of hard data the author is likely full of shit. Especially with claims like some mafioso omerta is keeping the real news from the people.
    Wrong thread. We're talking about football injuries here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast