starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry Saunas…worth a damn?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    When I lived in Houghton while attending Michigan Technological University, saunas were common, even in the dormitories.

That northern region had a large population of Finnish people who worked the copper mines since the 1800s and saunas were a part of daily life which became a northern tradition.

Typical sauna was around 30 minutes then go jump into the snow outside to cool off.

Never had any adverse effects, except for that one time my friends and I decided it was a good idea to take a swim in Lake Superior in February after a sauna. Bad idea if you actually like to be able to breathe, but we survived!

I used the sauna well into my NLP thinking it helped me recover. For me, personally, I felt like all it did was make me sweat a lot. Then, because I sweat so much I’d drink a lot of water. Then, because of the increased sweating and water intake, I’m pretty sure my sodium levels tanked. I’m pretty sure this lead to a few injuries early on. Of course, my form was pretty shitty too.

starting strength coach development program
    The Russians swear by their banya (it's "wet" steam as opposed to the "dry" kind) and my instant logical response was that this is old-wives-tale BS from a backwards country. Though I allowed that perhaps the rapid change in heart rate after jumping in the cold bathtub could be beneficial.

The two radically different paths Russia and the USA have been on for the past two decades, as far as what is 'normal' vs. to be shunned, coupled with the politicization of scientific "studies," leaves my gut trusting the older, more traditional culture's reverence for the sauna, even if my logical brain tells me the benefits are few.

So just use it once a week before your two-day recovery break. It can't hurt!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12