starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Saunas…worth a damn?

Default Dry Saunas…worth a damn?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have heard for years that the health benefits of regular dry sauna use are immeasurable. Rip, do you have any insight on this? Hype or real?

A small hot room is immeasurably beneficial -- it might be if you are cold. But does that make sense to you? Getting sweaty can be good, but "immeasurably beneficial" is a little hyperbolic.

Those are my words to describe the enthusiasm in some quarters for saunas - apparently regular use will stave off all manner of ills associated with aging and hard living. But I gather you do not buy into it. No, it doesn’t make sense to me, but I don’t have confidence I wasn’t missing something.

I live in Wichita Falls, Texas. It's hot here. I have never seen a benefit.

It was 110 degrees in the shed today while I deadlifted with a killer hangover from NYE. First actual hot day of our summer. Its 23:15 here and still 80 degrees outside

I can't think of a single reason why I'd want to spend any more time than necessary in any sort of hot room after spending all day working in it, but you do you.

Thanks, Rip.

Lungs and nasal always feel great after a steam room stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I can't think of a single reason why I'd want to spend any more time than necessary in any sort of hot room after spending all day working in it, but you do you.
    I will do me, of course, but that response is a bit of a non sequitur. It might make sense if I was here arguing in favor of saunas rather than asking if the alleged benefits are legitimate. But you have a hot shed and don’t like it so I guess that settles the question.

God, I’ve become pissy. Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

starting strength coach development program
    I installed a 5x8 Sauna kit in my home gym (a converted car port). As Rip has stated in a previous thread, a hot sauna is stress. So, you have to treat it as such.

For me at my age (old), a big sauna session the night before a lifting workout is a mistake. I tried it once and my legs said hell no. The sauna zapped me.
    I don't know how to confirm all the sauna health benefits experts write about. But, for what it's worth, we did not get "covid", and we were in pubs a few nights a week throughout the "crisis".

But aside from physical health, we enjoy the sauna especially during the cooler months. It's been good for our relationship and our mental health for sure.

If you get a sauna, I recommend you make a rule: no problems are allowed in the sauna. Leave all bullshit at the door. And, it may seem silly, but get a sauna hat. Roasting your head / brain is stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast